April 27, 2024, 04:57:27 AM

News:

Walking IP MS bearing race

Started by xlfan, May 01, 2023, 03:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Yes I know of the positive stop S&S race, but has anyone tried Loctite 638?
Could it a combination of too much IP bearing clearance and too tight primary chain that cause this walking on a standard 1340 EVO?

kd

Quote from: xlfan on May 01, 2023, 03:15:05 AMYes I know of the positive stop S&S race, but has anyone tried Loctite 638?
Could it a combination of too much IP bearing clearance and too tight primary chain that cause this walking on a standard 1340 EVO?
. Do a search on the site for S&S race and you'll find several threads with versions of what you are looking for.  It has been discussed here fairly often.
KD

jsachs1

Mid USA Motorcycle parts sells a non-slip race that works 100% perfect.
John

Ironheadmike

If memory serves . I think the green loctite is used for press fit .

cheech

Quote from: Ironheadmike on May 02, 2023, 07:45:35 AMIf memory serves . I think the green loctite is used for press fit .
The IPB race is a press fit.

Coyote

Seems no one except Ironheadmike actually read the OP's question.  :doh:

Ohio HD

I was going to suggest contacting Henkel and ask which of their products would suit the type of force that the bearing race will see. It's a radial load but over time forces the race in an axial movement towards the transmission. I've had good luck in the past with Henkel helping with their product selection. The only downside I can see if it works is needing heat to remove it.

https://www.contact.henkel-adhesives.com/technical-support.html

Deye76

My experience with green loctite is definitely needed heat to remove.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

Quote from: Coyote on May 02, 2023, 09:03:36 AMSeems no one except Ironheadmike actually read the OP's question.  :doh:

There's actually 2 questions asked.  Both have been discussed on here quite a bit (offering more than one remedy). 
KD

Ironheadmike

Quote from: cheech on May 02, 2023, 08:38:41 AM
Quote from: Ironheadmike on May 02, 2023, 07:45:35 AMIf memory serves . I think the green loctite is used for press fit .
The IPB race is a press fit.
Yes, I know. The green loctite is for press fit

wfolarry

jsachs1

I've never found any magic chemical, syrup, that would keep the IP bearing race from walking, if it had a mind to. Before the "Non-Slip Bearing Race, I used to tack the race in 2 places with tig torch. Easy to undue if needed. :wink:
John

xlfan

Quote from: jsachs1 on May 10, 2023, 01:13:36 PMI've never found any magic chemical, syrup, that would keep the IP bearing race from walking, if it had a mind to. Before the "Non-Slip Bearing Race, I used to tack the race in 2 places with tig torch. Easy to undue if needed. :wink:
John

I sure would like to figure out why some of those IP bearing races establish that mindset 😊