April 27, 2024, 02:39:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Max-Cell 818H vs Woods 22XE vs Star 30/30

Started by Freebird74, May 06, 2023, 05:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freebird74

Gonna be putting cam in my '18 107 soon.  Was looking primarily at the Woods 22XE or the Star 30/30 but my local guy says he prefers the Maxwell 818H over either of them. Can't find very much on it.  I know the background - Jim's VTwin, etc, just looking for comparisons/info if anyone can help.

hrdtail78

I have used plenty of Max-cell cams with good results.

IMO looking at many back to back M8 cam comparisons.  Pipe is still going to be major player and is more critical than cam choice on a stage 2 107.
Semper Fi

Freebird74

yeah, i get that - should put it in the original post - i will be running a Krome Weeks 2:1 along with it.  as i understand it, the Star cam is the highest lift available to run on stock springs and thus might be a bit harder on the valve train.  the woods seems like it will pull longer than the Max-Cell, but the tuner told me the Max-Cell will run a good bit cooler than either of the other two which i like.  

RTMike

Listen to the tuner and builder they will get it right for you :slap:

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: hrdtail78 on May 06, 2023, 06:04:32 AMI have used plenty of Max-cell cams with good results.

IMO looking at many back to back M8 cam comparisons.  Pipe is still going to be major player and is more critical than cam choice on a stage 2 107.
FuelMoto said that the 22XE is very exhaust friendly, so I think for the 22XE you'd be able to be looking around at different kinds of exhausts for your preferred style.
It's not like the 475C that's really exhaust moody.
Honestly I just saw that HPI came out with a new cam, JLR-478, and IT's sparked my curiosity.
2018 Fat Boy 114 "Rayearth" Resurgence Limited Paint, 20/150. Stage 2 SE-447

hrdtail78

Quote from: FranBunnyFFXII on May 11, 2023, 12:02:31 AM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on May 06, 2023, 06:04:32 AMI have used plenty of Max-cell cams with good results.

FuelMoto said that the 22XE is very exhaust friendly, so I think for the 22XE you'd be able to be looking around at different kinds of exhausts for your preferred style.
Honestly I just saw that HPI came out with a new cam, JLR-478, and IT's sparked my curiosity.

Did they tell you why for the 22xe?  Might be exhaust friendly but wont carry out very far for same reason.
Semper Fi

FranBunnyFFXII

Quote from: hrdtail78 on May 12, 2023, 01:15:11 PM
Quote from: FranBunnyFFXII on May 11, 2023, 12:02:31 AM

Did they tell you why for the 22xe?  Might be exhaust friendly but wont carry out very far for same reason.
Not sure, but they didnt exactly deter me away from the cam either.
Jamie's replies to my post, he knows the exhaust I've got on it and that I tend to ride like a maniac, and he doesn't seem concerned that the exhaust on my bike would be detrimental for the 22XE.
Plus I'm sure if I do some autotuning logs, they could take a look and adjust somethings for me.
2018 Fat Boy 114 "Rayearth" Resurgence Limited Paint, 20/150. Stage 2 SE-447

Hossamania

Quote from: RTMike on May 06, 2023, 08:29:01 AMListen to the tuner and builder they will get it right for you :slap:

Freebird74, heed this advice.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

lonewolf

Quote from: hrdtail78 on May 12, 2023, 01:15:11 PMDid they tell you why for the 22xe?  Might be exhaust friendly but wont carry out very far for same reason.
Have to agree.

Freebird74

Quote from: Hossamania on May 12, 2023, 03:10:56 PM
Quote from: RTMike on May 06, 2023, 08:29:01 AMListen to the tuner and builder they will get it right for you :slap:

Freebird74, heed this advice.
Yeah, I'm gonna reach out to the tuner and try to take a look at some graphs this week to make sure it's what I'm looking for.  I'll let you guys know.

Hossamania

The RS468 is always a winner too.
I'm sure you've looked thru the cam testing in the stickied posts at the beginning of this section?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Freebird74 on May 12, 2023, 06:54:12 PMYeah, I'm gonna reach out to the tuner and try to take a look at some graphs this week to make sure it's what I'm looking for.  I'll let you guys know.

It's good that you're getting a professional tune. Tuning it on your own or using a canned MAP gives most an average of 75% to 80% of what the potential is with a pro tune. Also fuel use and low speed manners are better from a pro tune. 

Sunny Jim

So
My view.
It's a 107. There was some great cam comparisons done when M8s hit the ground.
I would research in that paddock! There are some great short duration/ short overlap cams that will light up your 107.

Freebird74

Quote from: Hossamania on May 12, 2023, 07:18:49 PMThe RS468 is always a winner too.
I'm sure you've looked thru the cam testing in the stickied posts at the beginning of this section?

Man I've looked through so many graphs and dyno sheets you'd think I would have them memorized by now.  Honestly I know the RS468 is a good cam, but I've seen a lot of graphs with a bit of a dip around 3k.  Couple that with the tuner never mentioned it and I'm just staying away from it.

Freebird74

Quote from: Sunny Jim on May 13, 2023, 02:44:36 AMSo
My view.
I would research in that paddock! There are some great short duration/ short overlap cams that will light up your 107.
I agree.  I've looked through all the comparisons on here and on Fuel Moto sight.  I believe w/the pipe/cam combo I'll be about 110/120 hp/tq and that will be good enough for now.  Plus w/the upgraded internals I'm doing the engine should be fairly bulletproof.  That's what I'm really looking for - enough power to be fun and a bike that will run for a very long time.  It's my daily commuter - averaging about 60 miles a day just commuting not to mention all the other riding.  

Sunny Jim

Quote from: Freebird74 on May 13, 2023, 03:28:23 PM
Quote from: Sunny Jim on May 13, 2023, 02:44:36 AMSo
My view.
I agree.  I've looked through all the comparisons on here and on Fuel Moto sight.  I believe w/the pipe/cam combo I'll be about 110/120 hp/tq and that will be good enough for now.  Plus w/the upgraded internals I'm doing the engine should be fairly bulletproof.  That's what I'm really looking for - enough power to be fun and a bike that will run for a very long time.  It's my daily commuter - averaging about 60 miles a day just commuting not to mention all the other riding. 

May I say? I ran the CR460 in my 107 and my 117. It was a ripper!
I also tried the Andrew's 464 in the 117.
Both cams performed well and tuned easily.

Freebird74

Long story but finally got my cam/oil pump/etc done.  Max-Cell 818, KW 2 into 1 & S&S a/c.  111hp/120tq.  I'll gladly take it!  But man!  The sound!  I'll post a clip when I can, but I can tell you - it's better than my old evo w/thunderheader w/worked engine.