April 27, 2024, 08:20:59 AM

News:

4 speed main shaft leak

Started by Chippitt68, May 13, 2023, 02:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippitt68

May 22, 2023, 05:49:47 PM #25 Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 05:52:34 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 22, 2023, 05:42:23 AMOne thing I just noticed. The inner primary is missing a seal that goes after the inner primary bearing shown. Possibly you pulled that seal already, but I wanted to mention it just in case it were missing. It looks like there was seepage there as well. Should be part number 12052A 12018 (see below posts).

There was no seal on the ipb. I got one with the gasket kit for inner primary. I will install when I put it together. Good catch, thanks.

Ohio HD

QuoteThere was no seal on the ipb. I got one with the gasket kit for inner primary. I will install when I put it together. Good catch, thanks.

I'd suggest replacing that bearing as well, your right there and they're not expensive. Less than $10.00 for a quality bearing.

JSD

Chippitt68

With the sprocket on and nut tight .0013

JSD

billbuilds

Is there any discernable movement when you try to rock the sprocket? Should be a tiny bit but not a lot. New seal installs flush with outer edge of case boss. Best to install seal on spacer (lube well) then spacer/seal as one onto main shaft. One wrap of tape just to very inner edge of splines only after you're certain that they're free of burrs. Grease both tape covering splines and o-ringed portion of spacer well. And then just ease it on. 

Edit: Take the time to clean those splines well so that your tape stays put.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Chippitt68

JSD

billbuilds

I can't see your video however judging by your description it sounds like you're good to go.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Chippitt68

https://youtube.com/shorts/DFY4o8AfKk4?feature=share

Not sure why is isn't working. I'll try and share from YouTube.

Ohio HD

You have to change the video properties on you tube from "private" to "public".

bump

You might want to change the small seal between the mainshaft and the 4th gear. That is what I just finished changing, stopped leak.

Chippitt68

Chippitt68

Quote from: bump on May 25, 2023, 01:31:04 PMYou might want to change the small seal between the mainshaft and the 4th gear. That is what I just finished changing, stopped leak.
I did replace that one. Came in the kit. Thanks.

76shuvlinoff

June 04, 2023, 12:42:39 PM #39 Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 09:24:42 AM by Coyote
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 22, 2023, 05:56:49 PM
QuoteThere was no seal on the ipb. I got one with the gasket kit for inner primary. I will install when I put it together. Good catch, thanks.

I'd suggest replacing that bearing as well, your right there and they're not expensive. Less than $10.00 for a quality bearing.

The last one I did there was quite a price difference between a Chinese and Japanese bearing.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ohio HD

I didn't list a part number before for the inner primary bearing. I haven't had one in my possession for a long time, so I'm going off old notes I have. My notes say the bearing is HD #9040, and that is a standard bearing number EE9. There's a guy on eBay that has a lot of SKF, FAG, Fafnir, etc. bearings. He has the EE9 for $9.95 and up. Another guy has EE9 Koyo sealed in both side for $14.95.

I buy 75% of my bearings on eBay.

This link gives the EE9 bearing dimensions, it's a deep groove ball bearing. I'd measure the old bearing first before ordering.

Inner (d) MM 25,4
Outer (D) MM 50,8
Width (B) MM 9,53

https://www.abf.store/s/en/bearings/EE9-SKF/241464

Chippitt68

Thanks. Looks like they are out of stock. Found 'oem' at local shop.