April 28, 2024, 11:52:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Front Brake Bleeding

Started by lilchief, May 20, 2023, 03:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilchief

May 20, 2023, 03:49:20 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 05:19:44 PM by lilchief
Long story short, I put an extended upper front brake line on my FXLRST, due to some handlebar/riser mods. Bike is abs. I bled the brakes manually about 2 weeks ago when I installed the line, and left the lever zip tied to the grip overnight, once I had some pressure in the system. Next day lever felt perfect. Haven't ridden it since. Took it out today, & lever is somewhat soft. When doing the zip tie thing, should the mc cap be left loose to let the air escape? I had it buttoned up when I did it the first time

Thanks,
Lil  Chief

Tacocaster

ABS? A new line? I'm no expert lilchief but my understanding is, "Open an ABS system - see the Dealer!" Your Dealer has the proper equipment to bleed an ABS system.

I have seen buds open a line and then close it again without issue but installing a new line? I think it's the only option unless others here have discovered a work-around and success in this area. Guys/Gals?
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Hossamania

I never left the master cover open or loose while tying the handle, that has too much potential for disaster.
You could try riding it and activating the abs a few times, front and rear. Rear is easy, front takes some faith the first few times if you've never done it, hitting that brake hard in the sand does not come naturally.
Otherwise, a dealer or Indy shop could cycle the abs for you.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

lilchief

Thanks Guys.
My service manual says to manually bleed the brakes, then get the dealer to do the digitech thing to make sure all air is purged.
I'll get it done at the dealer hopefully this week sometime.