2003 fuel injector retaining clip... needed?

Started by hattitude, May 24, 2023, 11:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

I am changing the fuel injectors on my 2003 EFI Heritage.

When I disassembled the fuel rail, there was no clip. I've owned the bike since new, and don't believe the fuel rail was ever removed form the bike before. The only work on it, other thsn by me, was a big bore kit by a dealer, early in its life. They don't change injectors with that kit, so I don't believe they were touched then.

I see a reference to it in the service manual, I saw it in a video about installing HD fuel injectors, but it does not show in my parts catalog or the inline parts finder...?

It doesn't look like the myriad of fuel injector clips that show up on an internet search. It is an odd looking clip, that holds both fuel injectors with one clip.

Once the fuel rail is bolted to the intake manifold, I can't see how the injectors could move, let alone come loose.. but if it's supposed to be there, I'd like to have one....

Does anyone know if it's necessary to use one on a 2003 delphi EFI system?

If it's necessary, does anyone know the part number?

Thanks again, in advance for any insight on this fuel injector clip....

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: hattitude on May 24, 2023, 11:53:45 AMI am changing the fuel injectors on my 2003 EFI Heritage.

When I disassembled the fuel rail, there was no clip. I've owned the bike since new, and don't believe the fuel rail was ever removed form the bike before. The only work on it, other thsn by me, was a big bore kit by a dealer, early in its life. They don't change injectors with that kit, so I don't believe they were touched then.

I see a reference to it in the service manual, I saw it in a video about installing HD fuel injectors, but it does not show in my parts catalog or the inline parts finder...?

It doesn't look like the myriad of fuel injector clips that show up on an internet search. It is an odd looking clip, that holds both fuel injectors with one clip.

Once the fuel rail is bolted to the intake manifold, I can't see how the injectors could move, let alone come loose.. but if it's supposed to be there, I'd like to have one....

Does anyone know if it's necessary to use one on a 2003 delphi EFI system?

If it's necessary, does anyone know the part number?

Thanks again, in advance for any insight on this fuel injector clip....
I am going to go out on a limb from memory when I had mine apart 15 years ago. There is no clip because of how the fuel rail attaches.

Fugawee

May 24, 2023, 05:15:51 PM #2 Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 05:21:31 PM by Fugawee
I seem to recall seeing a one-piece retainer that holds both Injectors in place, then secured with a screw to the Induction Module.
This past Winter I worked on a 2009 FLHX, and a 2016 FLSTC.  Both of them required work on the entire Fuel Systems, which were Stock.  But I don't remember which one I saw that Clip/Retainer on.
I just looked at My chicken scratch notes and don't have any info regarding the Clip/Retainer.

I don't see anything in any of My 2000+ FSM's, or Parts Manuals of various Models about it/them either.
No Part Numbers, like You have mentioned.

I did find in a 2004 FXSTDSE Parts Manual this...HD Part #27605-01A, which the Description is...
Kit, Hardware Induction Module.
The Kit consists of Sensor "O" Rings, Screws, Injector Clips, Fuel Tube Seal Retainer, and more "O" Rings.
However, if You look that up on the Internet on E-bay, or elsewhere...all I see is a bunch of "O" Rings and Screws.
No Clips or Retainer unless I'm blind.

There is another HD Part #12200070, which the Description is...Clip, Fuel Injector.  Single Clips...One on each Injector
It is stated that these are for Harley's XG Models.
Whether or not they are used on other Models, I can't answer.
But they look similar to what You have probably already seen when You looked on-line.

I have an 03' FLHTCUI, and I don't think that there are any Clips/Retainer on there.
It's been a while since I was around there on that Bike.

Not much help I know...but, Good Luck on Your Search if You're still at it.

JSD

Ronnies part finder is your friend 

hattitude

May 25, 2023, 08:24:14 AM #4 Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:58:39 AM by hattitude
Thanks for all the input... 

I am skeptical that my fuel rail has been touched since I bought the bike new.

Back when I used to have service done by a dealer or independent, there has never been a time they would have needed to remove the fuel injectors or fuel rail.

There was no clip when I removed the fuel injectors for the first time since I bought the bike new...

I also can't see how those injectors would move, once the fuel rail is screwed into the manifold..

I am beginning to believe it is not needed...

hattitude

May 25, 2023, 08:28:44 AM #5 Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 09:01:25 AM by hattitude
Quote from: JSD on May 24, 2023, 07:25:22 PMRonnies part finder is your friend

Very interesting.... 

For some reason, the Ronnie's parts finder is different than the others..

The injector clip shows on Ronnie's parts finder, but not in my parts catalog or other online parts finders... It even shows it has a cost of $1.99..

However, it doesn't show a parts number for just the clip. It shows it as part of "Kit hardware induction module". Then of course it doesn't show a part number for the induction module hardware kit it is referencing...   :emoGroan:

I ordered kit #27635-01B as is mentioned in my 2003 parts catalog, to get the o-ring and plastic washer for the fuel supply tube. That kit was obsolete and not available from the MoCo, so I found that kit as NOS on eBay, and it is in the original packaging.

If there is an injector clip in there, I will use it... if not, I think I will run the bike without it..

Again, thanks to everyone with their info/thoughts....

FSG

FSG

FSG

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

hattitude

May 25, 2023, 02:56:39 PM #10 Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 03:01:19 PM by hattitude
FSG...  No, part "F" (in your pic) holds the fuel supply tube "E"  (in your pic) in place on the fuel rail, but also keeps the fuel injector clip (not shown in your photo) from sliding off the bottom of fuel rail...

The clip is shown under the fuel rail #9 and labelled #15 in the parts diagram on Ronnie's online parts finder. I have added that pic below..

hrdtail78... Thanks, based on what I found during disassembly, and how everything fits together, I was pretty sure that is the case... but I'm no tech, and not very experienced with Harley Fuel Injectors. I'm more comfortable with that deduction after hearing it from people on this forum.   :up:

I was afraid someone was going to post, "You absolutely need to have that installed or (insert bad consequences here)."

I think I'll sleep OK now, without that clip on the injectors/fuel rail...

FSG

May 25, 2023, 03:34:33 PM #11 Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 03:43:27 PM by FSG
OK ....  I have it shown in my 2002 Parts Manuals but it's NOT shown in my 2003 Parts Manuals.

Items # 15 are included in the KIT HARDWARE INDUCTION

in 2002 the
Kit was P/N 27635-01

in 2003 the
Kit became P/N 27635-01A  ------  obviously the clip was removed from the kit as were a few other small items

hattitude

May 25, 2023, 04:17:38 PM #12 Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 05:47:54 PM by hattitude
Quote from: FSG on May 25, 2023, 03:34:33 PMOK ....  I have it shown in my 2002 Parts Manuals but it's NOT shown in my 2003 Parts Manuals.

Items # 15 are included in the KIT HARDWARE INDUCTION

in 2002 the
Kit was P/N 27635-01

in 2003 the
Kit became P/N 27635-01A  ------  obviously the clip was removed from the kit as were a few other small items

Thanks....

That suggests to me that between 2002 and 2003, they decided the fuel Injector clip wasn't needed.

That would explain why the 2003 parts catalog doesn't have the fuel injector clip, but it was still mentioned in the 2003 Service Manual in "installation" of the Fuel Injector section...

Certainly not the first time I've found an issue with the factory service manual... but it's still my go to manual for all my bikes...

NOTE:   

FSG's post gave me the idea to check my 2002 Softail Parts Catalog.  Somehow that never occurred to me before.

In my 2002 parts catalog, it shows the fuel injector clip in the picture. The clip has no individual part #, but is  shown as part of the KIT HARDWARE INDUCTION.... The kit is P/N 27635-01B (but that manual was copyrighted in 2012).

So now I'm pretty confident that sometime in 2002, the MoCo decided not to use/supply that fuel injector clip anymore. They updated the parts manual pics, but missed the reference to the fuel injector clip in the Service Manual.

14Frisco

Maybe of interest...

Quote from: Tech Tip #57 (November 10, 2003)Recent Changes
· The Delphi Induction Module hardware kit, part number 27635-01A, includes
different length screws because of a change to the fuel rail on later induction
modules. If the fuel rail mounting boss is 6 mm thick use the two 14-mm screws. If
the boss is 9 mm thick use the two 17-mm screws. If the fuel tube clip hole in the
fuel rail is a blind hole use the 14-mm screw. If it is a thru hole use the 17-mm
screw. The thin clip on the fuel rail at the injectors is no longer used in production so
is no longer in the kit. Please note however, the Screamin' Eagle SE43 module still
requires the thin clip on the fuel rail to position the injectors and uses a different
hardware kit.

hattitude

Quote from: 14Frisco on May 26, 2023, 11:58:27 AMMaybe of interest...

Quote from: Tech Tip #57 (November 10, 2003)Recent Changes
· The Delphi Induction Module hardware kit, part number 27635-01A, includes
different length screws because of a change to the fuel rail on later induction
modules. If the fuel rail mounting boss is 6 mm thick use the two 14-mm screws. If
the boss is 9 mm thick use the two 17-mm screws. If the fuel tube clip hole in the
fuel rail is a blind hole use the 14-mm screw. If it is a thru hole use the 17-mm
screw. The thin clip on the fuel rail at the injectors is no longer used in production so
is no longer in the kit. Please note however, the Screamin' Eagle SE43 module still
requires the thin clip on the fuel rail to position the injectors and uses a different
hardware kit.

Well that certainly clears it up, officially... Thanks    :up:

FSG

:up:   and to be found in the Section no less 

hattitude

Quote from: FSG on May 26, 2023, 02:16:47 PM

:up:   and to be found in the Section no less 

Yep, right after he posted it, I went and found it on this web site....   :up:

Robb1178

I recently installed a new throttle body and new injectors on my 03 Heritage and the only clip I remember was the one at the fuel rail nipple. 
03 Heritage Softail 95" Zippers Muscle, Tmax, 51mm HPI T/B , D&D Fatcat 2/1