April 27, 2024, 03:26:08 PM

News:

drive line slack

Started by hogget, June 06, 2023, 07:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogget

my '88 heritage (40k miles) has slack somewhere in the drive train - when i back of the throttle and go back on it jerks around
i replaced the primary chain but the old one was like new
i remember a tech telling me a while ago that it could be something at the back of the clutch basket, but can't remember what part he was talking about
putting the basket back on and keeping the key in place was a real test in patience, so not keen to repeat that unless i have to
any suggestions as to the cause of this slack welome and appreciated
rory

Hossamania

Jack it up, put it in gear, and roll the rear wheel back and forth trying to track down where it seems to have the most movement. Take off the derby cover, the inspection cover, try and figure out what's moving, what's not. Could be a little slack in the tranny, loose primary chain adjustment, compensator, clutch hub, etc.
Loose rear pulley, loose front pulley also a possibility.
More than likely a little bit of all of it, other than loose pulleys, that would be no good.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jsachs1

Quote from: hogget on June 06, 2023, 07:43:14 PMmy '88 heritage (40k miles) has slack somewhere in the drive train - when i back of the throttle and go back on it jerks around
i replaced the primary chain but the old one was like new
i remember a tech telling me a while ago that it could be something at the back of the clutch basket, but can't remember what part he was talking about
putting the basket back on and keeping the key in place was a real test in patience, so not keen to repeat that unless i have to
any suggestions as to the cause of this slack welome and appreciated
rory
The key area of the clutch is prone to cracking. If that's your problem, make a ring, or buy 1 for that problem, press it on, and that should prevent it from happening again. If you can't find 1 message me, I made a bunch years ago, and may have 1.
John

hogget

thanks Hoss and John, i will do the investigation and let you know, but there's a few bikes ahead of the softy that i need to get to first - nice problem to have i think

JSD

As John said the alloy hubs crack at key way Had same prob with BDL 3" electric start kit. FSG posted the steel ring when i complained about BDL on another Post. I have em in shed as not to be caught out again .