May 01, 2024, 09:51:06 AM

News:

Top end oiling issue

Started by HC2019, June 08, 2023, 06:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC2019

June 08, 2023, 06:44:22 PM Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 06:52:31 PM by HC2019 Reason: More info
Hello,

I am new to the forum, I searched for this issue but was unsuccessful.  If this had been discussed before I apologize for wasting time.

I have a 2012 DWG, 110 tire shredder kit, Feuling cam plate, oil pump, lifters, pushrods, and 595 cams. 

Issue is with getting oil to the front cylinder intake valve.  I'm getting 15-24 psi on the gauge depending on hot or warm engine.  Plenty of oil to the exhaust valve.

I have replaced/cleaned inspected/ the lifter, rocker arm, and pushrod.  I have attempted to clean the case but that is where I am stuck.

Has anyone ran into this issue and/or does anyone have any ideas on how to clean an oil port inside of the case?

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Respect 

Quick edit,  I have turned the motor over without the lifters installed and got a decent amount oil out of both ports for the front cylinder.

Thanks

RoadKingKohn

Harleys are not known for high oil pressure but for volume of oil.

After saying that you want to make sure that your oil pump o-rings did not roll over and block the oil passages.

Before doing that check the Feuling spec to see what they say the oil pressure should be.

ziggy24

Did you check the rocker itself? Oil passage clear?

RTMike

Have you checked the pushrod and lifters for obstructions or blockage

kd

RT Mike and Ziggy, the OP mentions in the opening post what he has already done.
KD

HC2019

Thank you all, I will get it town down again next week and check the o-rings.  

I did contact feuling and I am within spec for the pump as far as pressure goes and they were of little help.  Wanted to sell new lifters and rods.  

Respect 

Armin

Quote from: HC2019 on June 08, 2023, 06:44:22 PMFeuling cam plate, oil pump, lifters, pushrods, and 595 cams. 

Issue is with getting oil to the front cylinder intake valve.  I'm getting 15-24 psi on the gauge depending on hot or warm engine.  Plenty of oil to the exhaust valve.

My 2001 FLSTCI with the Feuling cam plate and oil pump shows 10 psi at idle and 35-40 psi at operating RPMs. I'd check the pump setup again. How did you control the oil distribution to the valves? Is your rocker box gasket inserted correctly?

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

HC2019

Quote from: Armin on June 09, 2023, 03:42:47 PM
Quote from: HC2019 on June 08, 2023, 06:44:22 PMFeuling cam plate, oil pump, lifters, pushrods, and 595 cams. 

My 2001 FLSTCI with the Feuling cam plate and oil pump shows 10 psi at idle and 35-40 psi at operating RPMs. I'd check the pump setup again. How did you control the oil distribution to the valves? Is your rocker box gasket inserted correctly?

Armin.
I've been chasing a ticking for a while, narrowed it down to the front cylinder.  After changing oil and rocker lockers,  got tired of not knowing so I took the cover off and started the bike.  After about 30-45 seconds the exhaust valve starts to get oil.  Another few seconds and it's costing the valve as it should.  The intake just barely trickles out and runs down and drips off the rocker arm.  

After I check the o-rings and pump orientation I'll try to get a video of the problem is still there to show what the issue is.

Respect 

xlfan

I struggled a no oil to rockers case on a -99 TC a few years back. I tore down cam cavity and rocker boxes several times for all kinds of cleaning of oil channels (didn't disassemble tappets though), to no avail.
I ended up in great frustration with leaving the bike at idle outside, no top rocker cover with about 20% diesel mixed in the engine oil. After about an hour, I suddenly heard a change in engine sound, ran out for a looksee, and what do you know, oil all over the place.

Hossamania

That's my kind of solution: fix yourself, or blow up, I don't care.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Fat11Lo

Swap the lifter from intake to exhaust lobe see if the issue follows the lifter?????

HC2019

Quote from: xlfan on June 10, 2023, 07:20:48 AMI struggled a no oil to rockers case on a -99 TC a few years back. I tore down cam cavity and rocker boxes several times for all kinds of cleaning of oil channels (didn't disassemble tappets though), to no avail.
I ended up in great frustration with leaving the bike at idle outside, no top rocker cover with about 20% diesel mixed in the engine oil. After about an hour, I suddenly heard a change in engine sound, ran out for a looksee, and what do you know, oil all over the place.
I have heard before that diesel can remove small clogs and debris.  I might give that a shot.  

And I've swapped places and lifters to no avail.

Respect