April 27, 2024, 06:56:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Advice on putting primary back together.

Started by Chippitt68, June 10, 2023, 09:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippitt68

June 10, 2023, 09:40:27 AM Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 12:13:57 PM by FSG
It seems as though I've taken care of the mainshaft leak. I installed the o ring spacer from Ray and mdg seal. It's been sitting for weeks with atf in the trans. I spin it over from time to time with impact gun and so far, nothing has leaked out.
Looking for advice on putting it back together.
I did replace the inner primary bearing and added the seal that was missing.(Thanks Brian). I've chased and cleaned all the the threads. My questions are in regards to the sealing it up. I have the correct inner to engine case o ring. Grease or silicone on that? When I removed the inner, there was a light blue sealer where the o ring sat. It feels like silicone and it will not come off. I really don't want to scrape it off. The lip is in really good condition and I don't want to damage.
I've heard that some put silicone where the inner meets the trans mounts and the engine case. Good idea? I will say I do not think it was leaking before I took it apart to fix the trans leak. I run a sealed primary with atf and I had no red spots on the lift.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

billbuilds

I just put some high temp (orange) RYV on the backside of the washers for the four tranny mount studs and the two inner/inner primary bolts to engine case bolts. If it's not a hassle it's best to get a new o-ring for the inner primary to engine case however if you feel like your existing one is in good shape and it's not that old then ok to reuse, I have when they're relatively new. I personally don't use any silicon on that o-ring and ran and am running ATF in the sealed primary w/o any leaks.
     Be keen to the torque specs on those fasteners especially the ones to the engine case. Do you have safety wire for those two inner primary to engine case bolts? Don't overlook that on top of blue Loctite plus cleaning internal and external threads well. Also, shield the main shaft threads with some electrical tape so you don't risk damaging the lip of your new inner primary seal. Put a little lube on that seal too. Evenly torque the engine bolts first then the tranny. 
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

capn

I always put grey case sealant around where the o ring goes.Shovel and evo.

Chippitt68

Quote from: billbuilds on June 10, 2023, 10:47:51 AMI just put some high temp (orange) RYV on the backside of the washers for the four tranny mount studs and the two inner/inner primary bolts to engine case bolts. If it's not a hassle it's best to get a new o-ring for the inner primary to engine case however if you feel like your existing one is in good shape and it's not that old then ok to reuse, I have when they're relatively new. I personally don't use any silicon on that o-ring and ran and am running ATF in the sealed primary w/o any leaks.
     Be keen to the torque specs on those fasteners especially the ones to the engine case. Do you have safety wire for those two inner primary to engine case bolts? Don't overlook that on top of blue Loctite plus cleaning internal and external threads well. Also, shield the main shaft threads with some electrical tape so you don't risk damaging the lip of your new inner primary seal. Put a little lube on that seal too. Evenly torque the engine bolts first then the tranny. 
New o ring. No safety wire. I have the plate that both bolts go through with the lock tabs. I have the manual so I will torque to spec. I'll put a light coat of river on the washers before assembly and tape up the splines. Thanks.

Chippitt68

Quote from: capn on June 10, 2023, 01:02:33 PMI always put grey case sealant around where the o ring goes.Shovel and evo.
Thanks

dusty1

I just use a small amount of grease to hold o ring in place while putting inner primary on