April 27, 2024, 02:01:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

waffle type noise on over run & rocker shim

Started by 1340evo, June 11, 2023, 01:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Hi All

got a few miles on the re-build now and all is well.
I guess you listern for noises more and more and have got a bit of a wafflw, waffle, waffle type noise on over run at the lower RPM range.
I did think it was the primary chain for a while or the EV27 I fitted maybe, but starting to think its more top end.
Thinking back to the re-build, I'm not sure I measured the end float on the rockers as I'd seen its not required on Evo's. But have seen since that folks do shim Evo and machine things so a .010 min shim is used, fitting on the non-thrust side (so inlets opposite to exhaust).
Maybe something I can check this winter.
But do you think it could be this thats making the noise in the first place?

Or stop dicking about and just ride the thing  :teeth:

thanks   :wink:

lilchief

Is it possible it's intake (carb) noise now that you've installed a new cam?

1340evo

Quote from: lilchief on June 11, 2023, 02:45:38 PMIs it possible it's intake (carb) noise now that you've installed a new cam?

It could indeed and maybe is.. what does lose rocker shafts sound like, more a ticking noise?

lilchief

Quote from: 1340evo on June 13, 2023, 02:26:50 AM
Quote from: lilchief on June 11, 2023, 02:45:38 PMIs it possible it's intake (carb) noise now that you've installed a new cam?

It could indeed and maybe is.. what does lose rocker shafts sound like, more a ticking noise?

I would think rockers would be more of click, or even a banging noise of loose. Years back I put an EV46 in my Evo, and it immediately had more intake & carb noise.

1340evo

May be the issue for sure, i think there is a lot more overlap. on tickover it firest every time on the front, but only sounds to fire every second time on the rear, again this is down to the cam, bring it off tickover its off like mad.
I guess it could be the overlap im hearing as the rpm gets down...

Rockout Rocker Products

Loose rocker shafts are more of a ticking/tapping noise.

I'll add... I have yet to see any case where rocker end shimming made any real difference in noise.... I suspect any changes may be coincidental to the process of the shimming... relocating things & such.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!