April 27, 2024, 01:50:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1998 Heritage Softail Speedo

Started by dubepj, June 12, 2023, 10:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

My 1998 Heritage odometer has LCD leaking issues.  Found a 2006 Speedo that I can buy for a good price.  Will it work??

Will signal lights cancel.  I think memory in my 1998 is stored in the speedo but the 2006 one memory is stored in the bikes computer.  Not sure.  Thanks for your replies..

dubepj

Found wiring harness to convert new style to old style.  My bike is Carb.  The 2006 is FI will more lights on speedo (IE check engine light)  What troubles swill I encounter?

cheech

First off, post a link or name who makes this conversion harness you found.
Might get some more response.

Also there is this info on this forum; Click me

My guess is you're in uncharted territory trying a 2006 speedo on your 98.
The Harley number, 67027-96C covered 1996 to 2003. A sub harness for 98 and down.
Extra lights I think wouldn't be any issue.

According to the 98 FSM, the turn signal module which is on the backbone between the tanks.
Circuitry in the speedo provides an input to the module for the canceler function.
The module is receiving the pulses from the speedo that the speedo is receiving from the speed sensor.
Doesn't go into any more detail than that.

So if your "conversion harness" somehow maintains that connection, if that's all it is.
Maybe it'll work.

BTW, if you aren't aware Drag offers a replacement speedometer (part #2210-0104).
They claim it maintains all OEM functions.
Unfortunately it requires a sub harness also for a 98 (part #2120-0250).

Kind of have no choice to go aftermarket when the OEM is obsolete, unless you find a used or a NOS original.

dubepj

Thanks cheech.  Very detailed answer.  The harness I was looking at was made by Drag.  I did fine a used OEM speedo.  $200.  I'll probably go that route.