April 27, 2024, 11:22:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Injector Size

Started by Dogz, June 18, 2023, 08:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogz

June 18, 2023, 08:45:05 AM Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 09:15:13 AM by DOGZ
20RGL, 5,000 miles, had Tman 216 cam, Feuling oil pump & cam plate, adj pushrods installed, HPI m8 intake. They put in 6.1 injectors. Keep getting Front & rear running rich (P0132 P0152). After riding less then 50 miles, getting oil leaking out lifter blocks & pushrod tubes. First question I believe the 6.1 injectors are way to big, what size should be used? Leaking oil from reused o-rings? No other engine work. Was suppost to be a simple cam, intake, header upgrade.

After the 1st time upgrading parts, the motor was sumping with oil leaking out of lifter blocks & tubes. Guy who did the work said it was the scavenge port o-ring. He took it apart, supposely new oil pump installed. Still got codes, friday was on the dyno again, tweaked some, but still getting codes. Tuner said it's a small range (2,100 - 2,300 rpm) is causing it. What can be done to fix from getting codes? My thought smaller injectors & retune?

Also noticed on my garage door after taking a ride yesterday black soot exhaust high. Started up and rode, noticed when I got back. Thoughts?

Looking up the Feuling oil pump off the work sheet it's for the oil cooled engine not the correct pump for a water cooled engine. Could this be the problem too?

hrdtail78

6.1 injectors are fine.  What's your cubic inch?   
Semper Fi

To The Max

Get that oil pump out,the same thing happened to me , the late oem pump is fine. 6.1 are a bit big but should work fine it looks like your tune might be off.

Dogz

Quote from: hrdtail78 on June 18, 2023, 01:49:18 PM6.1 injectors are fine.  What's your cubic inch?   

114" the shop put in Feuling #7197 (oil cooled) I think it should be #7199 for water cooled engine.

Dogz

Quote from: To The Max on June 18, 2023, 05:39:07 PMGet that oil pump out,the same thing happened to me , the late oem pump is fine. 6.1 are a bit big but should work fine it looks like your tune might be off.

Are you saying put the OEM pump back in?

HD/Wrench

that injector size is not an issue . The tune that was done is the reason you have codes. The tune is going to control the fuel flow. I have tuned 8.4 in a 114 zero issues.

HogMike

Quote from: DOGZ on June 19, 2023, 04:19:20 AM
Quote from: To The Max on June 18, 2023, 05:39:07 PMGet that oil pump out,the same thing happened to me , the late oem pump is fine. 6.1 are a bit big but should work fine it looks like your tune might be off.

There are 2 different oil pumps, one for oil cooled motors, one for twin cooled motors.
Both will fit the motor but the flow rates are different.
Oil cooled pump will cause problems on a twin cooled motor.
I ran into this issue on a 2019 cvo with S&S pump. Nice gentleman at S&S explained the problem.
Latest OEM pump will work fine, just make sure it is the right one.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

FSG

Pump  SKU: 7018

Pump  SKU: 7019

Dogz

Quote from: HogMike on June 19, 2023, 05:30:59 AM
Quote from: DOGZ on June 19, 2023, 04:19:20 AM

There are 2 different oil pumps, one for oil cooled motors, one for twin cooled motors.
Both will fit the motor but the flow rates are different.
Oil cooled pump will cause problems on a twin cooled motor.
I ran into this issue on a 2019 cvo with S&S pump. Nice gentleman at S&S explained the problem.
Latest OEM pump will work fine, just make sure it is the right one.

Thanks for the info.

FSG

couple of things I noticed in the Feuling Instructions ....

Dogz

Quote from: HD/Wrench on June 19, 2023, 04:54:16 AMthat injector size is not an issue . The tune that was done is the reason you have codes. The tune is going to control the fuel flow. I have tuned 8.4 in a 114 zero issues.
Not knowing much about powervision tuning, it seems the tuner is tuning by rpm? Said the problem spot is 2100 - 2300 rpm range and that it will be a problem in every gear. Which I found out saturday it ran rich on both cylinders running 50mph. Pretty sure he tuned in 4th gear only (about an hour & half total), most of what I watched on the dyno.  Told him I cant get out of my hood, 25mph, without throwing the codes. I wasn't a fan of the "ride it like ya stole it" style of riding they made. Talking to the owner who installed parts later today.

should the tune be in each gear or by rpm? I'm not knowledgeable on tunes, but trying to learn some.

Dogz

Quote from: FSG on June 19, 2023, 07:45:37 AMcouple of things I noticed in the Feuling Instructions ....

After the 1st install of parts, picked up friday, had it back to him on monday. wrench did say the scavenging port o-ring was goofy. thanks for the info.

cheech

Get a new tuner! As in the guy doing it.
Maybe even mechanic also if not the same.
Why would they ever put the oil cooled pump in instead of the water cooled?

Dogz

Quote from: cheech on June 19, 2023, 08:47:31 AMGet a new tuner! As in the guy doing it.
Maybe even mechanic also if not the same.
Why would they ever put the oil cooled pump in instead of the water cooled?
Took it to another shop, their tuner has me dialed in now. Got rid of the dip at the 2100 - 2300 rpm range. Bike runs 100% better.