May 01, 2024, 03:33:47 PM

News:

main drive gear needle bearings

Started by scoopfraser, June 23, 2023, 12:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoopfraser

2000 FXD-stock transmission...160,000 kms
So, I recently found the source of an inner primary leak and in the process found the beginnings of a transmission leak from the 5th gear to mainshaft seal.  The seal had moved from the inside of the gear to the inner primary bearing race (I have the S&S tapered race so it didn't move).  With some careful dremeling I removed the seal and was using a pick to remove the remnants from the end of the main drive gear.  Much to my surprise I fished out the needle bearing assembly fully intact.  Has anyone encountered this before?  I did some searching, but didn't come up with much.  Considering the mileage and service I've gotten from this transmission it doesn't owe me anything and it's probably a good time for a re-fresh.  Another thing, when it came to removing the transmission pulley nut I was able to use my fingers (luckily, the 2 plate bolts were in tight).

Thanks,
Sean 
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

RoadKingKohn

I would pull it all apart. But I am just paranoid once I start finding small pieces that are not supposed to be where I find them.

FXDBI

Sean pull the cassette out and disassemble it. Pretty straightforward job, did my 6 speed last year. All the parts i needed were in stock at Edmonton Harley. Installed a Jims billet back door and solid shifter fork shafts on re-assembly. Bob

scoopfraser

2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

FSG

June 23, 2023, 08:37:18 PM #4 Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 10:56:46 PM by FSG
I'd also be pulling the 5th Main Drive Gear out of the case AND find or make a squirrel cage spacer to go between the 2 needle bearings

and a view from the side once installed

and a better sprocket lock nut, perhaps

http://www.3guyz.com/vtwin-motorcycles-topmenu#!/Sprocket-Lock-Nuts/p/6500822/category=1575036

scoopfraser

FSG, that's good to know about the spacer.  Are these needle bearings known to move? 

Bob, do you know of anyone in Edmonton that back-cuts gears?  I'd like to put something together that shifts as nicely as possible.

Thanks!

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

FSG

Quote from: scoopfraser on June 24, 2023, 10:20:14 AMAre these needle bearings known to move? 

it's been known to happen to the point HD started using the spacer and then the squirrel cage and I'm a great believer in preventative maintenance.

smoserx1

I've not heard of the 5th gear-mainshaft seal coming out & migrating to the race as you describe but I have had the race itself walk inward to the seal.  Once I was lucky enough to get a bearing puller behind it and move it forward enough to get the horseshoe clamp behind the race so I could use the race remover tool.  The other time it had walked so far I had to do the dremmel tool/chisel thing & then pick out a crushed seal, and that finally convinced me to get an S&S tapered race.  I have had the drive sprocket nut be finger loose even when the lock plate was tight & what happened in that case was the spacer between the pulley & bearing spun (it wore a groove in the spacer) and was apparently my mistake of not torquing it enough when I put things back together previously.  I did have a 5th gear-mainshaft seal wear out once from simply age & mileage so whenever I pull the inner primary I try & replace that and all the other seals at the same time.

Eglider05

Quote from: scoopfraser on June 24, 2023, 10:20:14 AMAre these needle bearings known to move? 

They sure are, at least for me. I had it happen at least twice until I had a spacer made. It's been 10 years and no problems. Several of those years behind a 120".

wood02

it's been known to happen to the point HD started using the spacer and then the squirrel cage and I'm a great believer in preventative maintenance.

Would you happen to have/know the "HD" part number for the squirrel cage?  This happened to me also.  I can remember you using the spacer many years ago.  Seems a friend made it? I already put mine back together with out the spacer.  Thanks.

Eglider05

Quote from: wood02 on August 22, 2023, 08:58:25 AMit's been known to happen to the point HD started using the spacer and then the squirrel cage and I'm a great believer in preventative maintenance.

Would you happen to have/know the "HD" part number for the squirrel cage?  This happened to me also.  I can remember you using the spacer many years ago.  Seems a friend made it? I already put mine back together with out the spacer.  Thanks.

I don't think there is a spacer for the 5 speeds. I had a friend make one up for me. I just measured the distance between the bearings and my friend fixed me up based on a pic of the 6 speed spacer. This is a pic of the one my friend made for my 5 speed (10+ years ago)and is now in my SE 6-speed which is different than the stock 6 speed tranny.

wood02