May 02, 2024, 12:38:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

03 tc 88 ticking noise

Started by chas, June 25, 2023, 08:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

I just started up the bike in a couple weeks and I'm getting a loud ticking noise coming from the engine ? Wasn't like that last time i started it! What are your thoughts? lifter, pushrod?

kd

Engine, Year, mileage, modifications?  How long did you let it run or did you shut it off immediately?
KD

fbn ent

:agree: with kd, but, offhand I'd guess a lifter bled down.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

smoserx1

If it sat for a couple of weeks I would suspect lifter bleed down and it should get quiet after a short period of running.  Adjustable pushrods have been known to loosen up but I would not think that would happen with a bike just sitting.  It seems like you would be more likely to hear that begin getting noisy while riding.

motorhogman

Ear plugs and ride it.. LOL.. I swear every time I ride my 01FLHT I hear a new noise..  Actually did yesterday. TourPak latch broke and it was rattling away at low rpm and idle. Rear one, I couldn't see it in the mirror well enough. Got home, went to open the Pak and what do you know.. Noise found.. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

chas

It quieted down after a few miles! Just seemed loud at first start up

Lone Ranger

July 22, 2023, 07:39:19 AM #6 Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 07:43:26 AM by Lone Ranger
Might be rocker arm shafts where bolt holds rocker arm shaft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQS99wCOWbE