May 01, 2024, 01:39:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Travel limited lifters

Started by fbn ent, June 26, 2023, 03:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Finally got it together and have started heat cycles. :baby: I have tried travel limiters before and I just couldn't quiet them down but here I am again. I used S&S install instructions on my new Johnson's and as of right now, just a couple partial warmups, they are NOISY. Like a failed lifter noisy. S&S says they will be noisy for 20 miles or so.(?) I am going to do another set this evening to see if I was off. 4 turns down after zero play, give it time, shorten the pushrod until turns without resistance with no up/down movement, up another turn (23 tpi). I'm thinking I may be too loose.... :scratch:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

One complete turn up from the bottom is ok, although one to two flats is best. You may not get 100% benefit of the limiters, meaning when / if a lifter bleeds down overnight etc., you get limiter help, but the valve lift / timing is slightly effected. But no more than a standard lifter, probably less than a standard. 

My experience with lifters with limiters is they have pumped up pretty quick. Some have made a little noise after they first got quiet, but after that they stay quiet.

fbn ent

Thanks! So say 2 flats from free spinning with no up down play after bleeding them. Correct?

Ohio HD

Yes, no up or down. And a slight drag when rotating them. Keep in mind that the top end will expand some as it reaches operating temperature. So one flat and just able to spin the pushrod when the nut is tight. Not really a drag when turning, just a very slight effort needed.

That way when the motor cools off and shrinks to normal, the limiter should be at it's most effective use to maintain the valve opening when starting the cold motor.

kd

:agree:   With the engine "cold" bottom the lifter so it's tight to turn, back it off until you can turn it with slight drag (like setting the old shovel solids), then go no more than 1 flat looser.   Like Ohio says when the engine gets hot it will grow up to .060".  The 1 flat is to ensure when it's cold the valves don't leak off compression for starting.  The benefit of limiters set this way is there will be virtually no hot start hesitation at the pumps from the lifter bleed down.  You will like them set that way.

Good to hear you got it over the hump bud.  :up:
KD

fbn ent

Thanks kd!

FWIW, I just tried them after setting them again. Better but not quiet yet. I went two flats....I'll go for one in the morning....

kd

June 26, 2023, 09:01:17 PM #6 Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 09:07:43 PM by kd
Set them at 1 flat.  Remember that with such a fine setting when you jam the lock nut tight it pulls the adjuster tip and will extend very slightly as the threads get pulled outward.  The coarser the thread the more the lengthening effect.  You may end up at the equivalent of close to 1/2 flat.  I set mine cracked just off the friction point.

After a heat cycle (or two) where the oil gets up to temp and coats everything what you are hearing will go away.  IIRC you are heat cycling with lighter grade Rotella also.   My 120 with 660 lift, roller rockers and S&S premiums with limiters set as described is more silent than the 103 was.
KD

dogger

The best way I've found to get the lifters quiet upon initial start up is after making the lifter adjustment prime them through them outside chain tensioner oil hole using an oil squirt can. Then install the tensioner and cam cover. Usually never get more than a tick or two.

roadkingdresser

A little confusion on my part. So you are saying turn the p/rod down until it hits the limiter and starts to raise the valve. back off slowly until I can spin the pushrod and go 1 flat. This is where the confusion comes in, is 1 flat a complete turn on the rod or just 1 flat of the rod? Sorry about the confusion!
roadkingdresser

No Cents

1 flat of the p/rod
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

roadkingdresser

July 01, 2023, 07:43:38 AM #10 Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 10:19:34 AM by roadkingdresser
Another question, changed the front lifters in my 07cvo last week because of the noise. I had some lifters not sure what brand. But anyways when I went to install them and the oil hole in the lifter went to the front of the hole or the back. I just went to the garage and checked the lifters that I took out and they have the oil hole to go to the motor inward or outward toward the cam plate. So what is the difference? I did run my finger in the hole and found the oil hole,
 in the engine was in the front, so that's the way the lifter went in. So what is the difference, the manual says the oil hole in the lifter should be facing inward. And some say it doesn't matter. I have some Johnson high lifts coming and will be installing them next week.Thanks
roadkingdresser

Mi Infidel

It doesn't matter where the oil hole is. 
2001 FXD 2006 stock heads 95" @ 10.5:1 Fueling 543
Dynatek ignition Supertrapp 2:1 29 tooth front pulley

fbn ent

:emoGroan:  Took advise from a couple of long time builders (40+ years) who said to get those potty mouth limiters out  :kick: . Took it out for a run just now.... :bike: ....  :baby: 

Ohio HD

Mine are quiet. My 124" is quieter than a stock TC.      :idunno:

fbn ent

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 12, 2023, 05:28:33 PMMine are quiet. My 124" is quieter than a stock TC.      :idunno:

I have the same noises I had when new....just couldn't set them right. On the bright side, I have four really useful looking washers.  :SM:

Ohio HD

Quote from: fbn ent on July 12, 2023, 06:28:12 PMI have the same noises I had when new....just couldn't set them right. On the bright side, I have four really useful looking washers.  :SM:

:SM:    Someone will need them one day.

kd

Quote from: fbn ent on July 12, 2023, 06:28:12 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 12, 2023, 05:28:33 PMMine are quiet. My 124" is quieter than a stock TC.      :idunno:

I have the same noises I had when new....just couldn't set them right. On the bright side, I have four really useful looking washers.  :SM:

Mine are as Ohio describes. (set at 1/2 flat) Just yesterday I was thinking how it is more quiet than the 103 was and it was as silent as I thought it gets. I get a slight primary chain sound but you have to think to listen for it to notice. 
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on July 12, 2023, 08:18:22 PMMine are as Ohio describes. (set at 1/2 flat) Just yesterday I was thinking how it is more quiet than the 103 was and it was as silent as I thought it gets. I get a slight primary chain sound but you have to think to listen for it to notice

I think that's the 49 tooth clutch basket. Mine does it too. I think the angle of the chain off the tensioner shoe causes this. It's slightly different with the larger OD of the basket and a longer chain.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 12, 2023, 08:22:18 PM
Quote from: kd on July 12, 2023, 08:18:22 PMMine are as Ohio describes. (set at 1/2 flat) Just yesterday I was thinking how it is more quiet than the 103 was and it was as silent as I thought it gets. I get a slight primary chain sound but you have to think to listen for it to notice

I think that's the 49 tooth clutch basket. Mine does it too. I think the angle of the chain off the tensioner shoe causes this. It's slightly different with the larger OD of the basket and a longer chain.

That's my thought too.   It is a 49 tooth EVO basket with the custom length chain.  I considered adding taper to it but Iit's whirring and not the kind of sound you know shouldn't be there.  :teeth:
KD

kd

Quote from: fbn ent on July 12, 2023, 05:14:09 PM:emoGroan:  Took advise from a couple of long time builders (40+ years) who said to get those potty mouth limiters out  :kick: . Took it out for a run just now.... :bike: ....  :baby: 

I was getting tired of waiting to hear how the cam plate repair went.  I guess all's good now?
KD

fbn ent

I was getting tired of waiting to hear how the cam plate repair went.  I guess all's good now?
[/quote]

Seems to be good kd. That -08 version of the SE pump/plate puts out better pressure than the -03 one for sure.
I took a break and went down to BC to help out with a run there. No bike  :cry: . Felt like my dog had died  :crook:

BTW, I never liked solids either.