May 01, 2024, 07:40:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

primary chain

Started by hogmandon, June 27, 2023, 03:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmandon

I have over 180,000m on my 06 RG and almost all of the miles have had over 100hp. It has been to the 1/4 mile drags and just been beaten on for all but the last yr. Is there a service limit on the primary chain, I don't see any in the service manual.

HD-Dyna

I don't think there is a service limit on one. Just replace if unable to tighten chain/ set adjustment to proper tension 

kd

June 27, 2023, 06:25:12 AM #2 Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 06:31:20 AM by kd
There are definitely limits to the "wear" on a chain as well as stretch.  Wear can be checked by laying the chain on a flat surface and stretching it out.  Take the measurement between a set number of pins then collapse it in and remeasure. The difference is the wear between the rollers and pins.  As the chain wears the distance between the pins and rollers gets longer and no longer matches the sprockets causing accelerated wear there also.

Another thing I often do if the chain is off the sprockets and in hand is with the chain on its side and doubled tight and straight, lift it from one end and observe the sag present.  That is, does it form an arc with one end "sagging" and the chain forming an arc.  This occurs as the pins and rollers wear causing free play between the links.  When this is excessive it causes sprockets to wear to the longer dimension. 

A similar thing happens with stretch.  It is possible for a chain to get stretched in a section equal to the span between the sprockets by the type of work load it would receive on exceptionally hard starts (burnouts, wheelies, shifts etc.).  That can be noticed when adjusting a primary chain.  As you rotate the engine checking the up and down slack there will be spots that are looser than others.  The loose spots may be stretched, but could also be shaft runout.  The instructions for adjusting your primary chain gives you the point in the slack to set the given free play dimension.  Having one area in the chain with a stretched section results in vibration that can negatively effect other parts of the motorcycle.

Check with the chain manufacturer for the test standard on the chain you are using.  There's details on how to conduct the testing and wear limits.  From your description of the life of your particular chain has been treated to I wouldn't be surprised to see it has some of the things I described to be measurable.

KD

calif phil

Quote from: hogmandon on June 27, 2023, 03:48:16 AMI have over 180,000m on my 06 RG and almost all of the miles have had over 100hp. It has been to the 1/4 mile drags and just been beaten on for all but the last yr. Is there a service limit on the primary chain, I don't see any in the service manual.

Is it at the end of the adjustment?  Considering your description of the life it's had, it's time for a new one. 

Hilly13

Obviously you would check the sprockets for wear as well, a new chain on worn sprockets will shorten the new chains life and give the magnet something to do.
Just because its said don't make it so

hogmandon

I have been using a hydraulic and or spring tensioner. so it is always adjusted right. Now it is banging around in there so I think its time to replace.
Thanks for the replies

hogmandon

I had recently put in a new compensator sprocket because the spring collapsed and the motor tore the sprocket from the clutch basket.
Almost all the rivets sheered of I just made it home before the last one let go. So, the sprockets should be ok.