April 27, 2024, 12:18:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

clutch drag

Started by Ironheadmike, June 29, 2023, 06:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironheadmike

98 softail. I replaced almost everything. clutch,spring,oil slinger,throwout bearing,ball and ramp, clutch cable. I adjusted it numerous times and set it from 3/4 to 1/4 out. Still lurches forward when I put it in gear. I had a energy1 and replaced it with a barrnet .The energy1 till looked like new .Any suggestions ?

Ironheadmike

I also adjusted the primary chian .

kd

If you are kicking it into gear as soon as you squeeze the clutch handle you can expect that reaction.  If your oil lev el is touching the clutch basket (especially when on the side stand) the surface tension of the oil between the discs will cause it too.  Very common problem.   

Try pulling in the clutch and waiting a few seconds before kicking it into gear.  If that doesn't make it better try a little blip after the clutch is pulled in and then wait for it to return to idle before putting it in gear.  If the second test is more successful you likely have too much primary oil.
KD

Hossamania

I occasionally pull mine into 2nd gear, then to 1st, it seems to lurch less when old.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ironheadmike

I'll give it a try . But when I pull up to a stop, I have to keep the on the brake cuz the bike still wants to move forward .

Hossamania

How much play in your cable? Try less oil in the primary.
What type of oil are you using?

FSG

did you put a spring over the clutch cable at the ball and ramp end?

have you measured the pressure plate movement with the clutch lever pulled?

are you sure the inner ramp is in the home position before you start the adjustment?

what degree or part number ramps did you put in?

what cable did you put in, P/N ?

post a pic of the clutch through the derby opening

Ironheadmike

Barnet extra plate with spring, barnet clutch cable the ball and ramp(OEM 15 degree) were seated, there is .08 travel in the clutch, .06 gap at the lever . Over the years I've done 100's of clutches and never had a problem like this .

Hossamania

Are there grooves worn into the clutch hub or shell? I filed them down, but had to replace mine after many miles.

WML57

Type of primary fluid, and / or overfill may contribute to clutch drag.

FSG

Quote from: Ironheadmike on June 29, 2023, 01:32:36 PMOEM 15 degree

they were stock in the '90 FLHs, not in a '98 Softail ..... 

why have you used them ?  NO way would I use them in ANYTHING  ....

Ohio HD

If there is in fact 0.080" of pressure plate travel, then the problem has to be inside the clutch assembly. Maybe the bearing for the basket and hub is worn and wobbling, bent or damaged clutch basket fingers, groves worn into the basket fingers or the clutch hub has grooves from the steel plates. Warped steels.

FSG

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 29, 2023, 03:16:16 PMIf there is in fact 0.080" of pressure plate travel,

I find that hard to imagine with 15 deg ramps in there

Ohio HD

Quote from: FSG on June 29, 2023, 03:36:42 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on June 29, 2023, 03:16:16 PMIf there is in fact 0.080" of pressure plate travel,

I find that hard to imagine with 15 deg ramps in there

That's why I said "if", something isn't adding up. You can get 0.080" with 21° ramps or with a Müller ramp.

FSG

:up:   and a '98 should have had OEM 18 degs  25452-87A & 25453-87A Inner and Outer ramps