April 27, 2024, 12:54:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2 piece head.

Started by jsachs1, June 29, 2023, 02:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsachs1

June 29, 2023, 02:09:39 PM Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 02:46:27 PM by FSG
When you thought you've seen it all.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Fugawee

Ouch...that'll ruin Your day.

Ohio HD

What in the world John? Was there nitro involved?

lilchief

Curious as to what the cause was on this one. For some odd reason I love seeing crazy things like this!

Deye76

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 29, 2023, 02:43:01 PMWhat in the world John? Was there nitro involved?

C'mon John, tell it like it is.  :teeth:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Have seen this before with S&S Super Stock heads with the oem TC bolt pattern.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Hossamania

Gotta work hard to break it that good!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

crock

:pop: I just wanna know how.   :pop:
Crock

jsachs1

A shop I do heads for sent it over, with 2 new heads. Apparently the bike has been on the road since the late 90's. They are going to find out what they can, and let me know in depth. As I get more info, I'll let all know.
John

jsachs1

Made 1 phone call, and low and behold, found out this was a common problem with some S&S 4" bore 100", 107", and 113" engines. :angry: I did quite a few of the 4" bore engines, and never saw it before.
John

Deye76

Thank You John. I had a 100" S&S motor, has well over 100,000 mi. on it now, according to the guy I sold it to. Since you posted this a couple guys have told me they have seen this. First for me.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

capn

Was it going down the road when it blew? If so must have been a surprise!

jsachs1

Another problem that may surface in the 4" bore S&S engines is, Cylinder Studs pulling out of the case. I have seen that before, and fixed several of them. :SM:

capn: I don't know. A shop I do heads for sent the broken head, and 2 new heads to be ported.
John

motorhogman

I have to ask... Why did they send you the broken head ?
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

jsachs1

Quote from: motorhogman on July 02, 2023, 09:44:02 AMI have to ask... Why did they send you the broken head ?
No clue. Certainly not to repair, if that's what you're thinking.
John

98fxstc

I am curious about S&S and their concern for their reputation.

Turboprop said straight up, he had seen this before and John confirmed it was a common problem with some of their heads.
How often would S&S step up and replace the heads, when there is a recognized problem with a product, and for what period of time after manufacture ?

jsachs1

Quote from: 98fxstc on July 02, 2023, 02:53:00 PMI am curious about S&S and their concern for their reputation.

Turboprop said straight up, he had seen this before and John confirmed it was a common problem with some of their heads.
How often would S&S step up and replace the heads, when there is a recognized problem with a product, and for what period of time after manufacture ?
Knowing S&S, if this happened within a reasonable period of time after purchase, IMO, they would cover it. :up:  This was sold in the late 90's I'm told, and happened currently. No idea of how many miles.
John

Fugawee

It there not going in the Scrap Heap...put them For Sale on Ebay as Official S+S Paperweights.
Somebody will probably buy them.