April 27, 2024, 04:04:20 PM

News:

Base gaskets

Started by JSD, July 01, 2023, 12:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSD

I ordered the James paper for my 68 .032" for base gaskets there paper type ?should i put some sealer on them like Threebond white or use dry ?

billbuilds

I was told by a long time wrench to put them on dry. You prolly know to retorque the base nuts after heat cycles are complete then again at 500 miles or so.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

RTMike

The Foamette gasket are the the new rage and they are number one at sealing,I prefer them over all the former gasket material including steel. :potstir:

capn

On paper base gaskets I would use copper coat spray.

Excalibur

I greased my base gaskets, worked perfect. Mind you, the surfaces were nice and very well prepped. Clean, shiny clean, degrease with brakleen. I like the black moly grease for this application.

76shuvlinoff

Cometic MLS gaskets here top and bottom of the jugs. I put them on dry and re-torqed after heat cycles twice.

Dry for over 15 years now.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JSD

I have full cometic kit. I will use MLS on head. Torqued to 60 ftb.

dusty1

As Capn said, copper spray. Its sticky, so gasket wont move when installing cylinder, seals, and makes future gasket removal easy (little to no scraping).

Reddog74usa

I tried the cometic steel base gaskets and they leaked real bad so I'll never use them again. Went with James for the base and MLS on the heads and it worked  out great. I always prep gasket surfaces very well as who wants to have to back in but those steel base gaskets leaked anyway.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

JSD

Yes i was a bit suss on the steel base gasket causing leaks. Thanks for reply's all .