April 27, 2024, 06:34:42 AM

News:

Dry clutch or wet clutch?

Started by Chippitt68, July 01, 2023, 10:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippitt68

82 flh. Sealed primary. Technically a dry clutch according to the manual but the primary has been sealed and I run 8 oz atf in the primary. Since I'm running 8 oz in primary, should the frictions be soaked before install? Frictions are Alto wet/dry.

76shuvlinoff

Sealed primary here, I always soak new discs.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Chippitt68

Thanks. I'm leaning towards taking your advice and finding a Rivera/APM clutch. This Stock one is beating me up

Excalibur

If neither way ends up working, maybe try different plates.

How is the clutch misbehaving exactly?

I had some red linings that wouldn't play nicely in either of my Harleys. Needless to say, they won't be going into another bike of mine.

Chippitt68

It's still on the lift fro mainshaft leak repair. I noticed the issues when I was putting it back together.

kink04fxd

I run a BDL competition clutch in my 82 with a sealed primary and ATF. Yes I soaked my plates in ATF. I fill it to the bottom of the basket. Much better than a stock clutch, imho.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

JSD

I have energy one wet or dry plates new energy one steels assembled dry with sealed primary. 

dusty1

when I ran a sealed primary, I did not soak the plates. So it was a dry clutch, like stock. Isn't the ATF/oil meant to lube the chain? I don't see why plates need to be soaked