April 30, 2024, 08:13:30 AM

News:

'62 Sporty

Started by Thumper-D, June 10, 2009, 08:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumper-D

June 10, 2009, 08:57:50 AM Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:09:38 AM by Thumper-D
I recently aquired a '62 Sportster.. its a kicker, and I figgered I should be able to kick it, but it is so hard seems I am unable.. I'm 150lbs, but fairly strong.. even  jumpin' on it with my whole body weight, half the time it won't kick down.. is this normal for these..?  I had one similar when I was 18, don't remember this problem..was tough sometimes, but doable.. any feedback on this..? timin' may be still off, but even my bro who is twice my size has trouble.. not  just that it won't start, just the kickdown is too damn hard..?  any help would be appreciated.. thanx..  p.s.   with plugs out it turns smoothly & easily.. the few times I have gotten it runnin' ( it has happened..*L*) its rough but runs..

Pynzo

The bike may have higher than normal (9:1) pistons in it. Don't start your kick through from the top of the stroke, build up compression till the kicker is about at 9 oclock position (viewed from the side of the bike) and put your weight into it. Is it a magneto bike?

Thumper-D

yup, its a mag..tho at this point, not sure if its the original.. book says that year had a fixed.. looks like this one is adjustable..still workin' on that part.. seems no matter where I start the kick.. even at the 9, I bounce on it with full weight.. no go, 'bout 1/2 the time....

jmanjeff

will it kick over easy with the plugs out 
1957  Sportster

wreck74

maybe the kicker shaft bushings ? binding up under pressure.

Pynzo

Do you retard the mag? It might be firing prematurely, if it is be careful- I almost had my foot broken on an old Triumph I once owned, kicker shot back up and smacked the bottom of my foot. Look into the plug holes and see if the piston domes have any markings or notches. Did you get any history on this bike when you bought it?

Thumper-D

June 10, 2009, 09:33:41 PM #6 Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:48:11 PM by Thumper-D
no history, unfortunately..workin' on the mag, so far seems at retarded time..yeah, can turn it with me hand with plugs out..I'll see if'n I can see the piston tops (anythin' in particular I be lookin' fer..? certain markin's ta denote hi comps..?) got a  harley shop manual, but its still kinda vague, tells more on the electrics than the mag models..be a few days till I gits a chance ta do more work..letcha all know what I finds.. thanx fer the info..*S*   p.s. the pic on profile is the '62..  p.s.s.  I have been told, no electric conversion is available fer this year/model ('62 XLCH )  anyone know different..? *L*)

Pynzo

Stock pistons are usually marked with a stamping of (STD), oversized with .020 through .070 might be found if motor was rebuilt using original cylinders. A circular notch cut into the intake valve side of the piston dome will be for oversized racing or '70-'71 Intake valves(a good thing if you got it in an early motor).
https://www.masclassics.com/vtwin/0804.php             
This page has a pic of what stock pistons for a '62 look like. You may have to pull the top end off to see whats going on with your pistons. There is no Electric Start conversion for a '62.

LONE WOLF

Take the oil drain plug out in the bottom of the case and then see if you can turn it over - I made the same mistake a few years ago when I replaced the drain plug with a standard pipe plug. It went too far into the case and interfered with the flywheel - no go! Backed off the plug and all was fine.
Fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared.