April 27, 2024, 12:15:25 PM

News:

If you had....

Started by nmainehunter, July 08, 2023, 05:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmainehunter

a 42 Mikuni and SuperTrapp disc and a soft spot in 3rd just off throttle. Would you hit the carb or the discs?

kd

Model, engine, mods (cam, exhaust etc.)?  What RPM?

Is it occurring as you pull normal or spirited through the gears or is it after you get into 3rd and maintain light throttle that it feels soft? 
KD

nmainehunter

July 08, 2023, 06:16:19 AM #2 Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 06:24:02 AM by nmainehunter
Thanks
Thanks KD, 95 FXSTS, EV13, Bassani Road Rage that I added Super Trapp discs to and I'm running 12 discs. Just coming down into town and hitting third to maintain around 25 to 30 mph.

I should probably add that I had 10-1's and an EV46 in last year. It really wasn't to my liking. I have been running an EV 27 for years and loved it but just playing I decided to take the pistons out and try something different with the EV13 and stock pistons.

kd

Quote from: nmainehunter on July 08, 2023, 06:16:19 AMThanks
Thanks KD, 95 FXSTS, EV13, Bassani Road Rage that I added Super Trapp discs to and I'm running 12 discs. Just coming down into town and hitting third to maintain around 25 to 30 mph.

I should probably add that I had 10-1's and an EV46 in last year. It really wasn't to my liking. I have been running an EV 27 for years and loved it but just playing I decided to take the pistons out and try something different with the EV13 and stock pistons.

You don't say what rpm you are using to maintain 25 - 30 mph min 3rd gear.  I would expect it to be soft on a roll-on demand to accelerate if it is in the 2000 rpm range or even a little more.  Actually, a roll-on in 3rd at 2000 rpm would be considered lugging and I wouldn't be surprised if you listened closely with a hot engine, you would hear detonation (pinging rattle).
KD

RTMike

I would go to 18-20 defused disks with a closed end cap and see how that works .I ran 24 with a closed end cap on my FXRT with a EV-27 cam was awesome

Hossamania

Also check for vacuum leaks.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

nmainehunter

I don't have a tach. I'm not lugging the engine or have a vacuum leak. It's when I'm coming to a reduced speed zone and downshift from 4th and let third maintain it just feels like it wants to spit or fart but does neither.

harpwrench

Closed or open end cap? If it's open I would put a closed cap on and start around 18 discs like Mike said. But if you don't have one just drop a couple three and try it.

Finn

On my Bad Boy with EV13 and CV40 I recall my Supermeg having around 24...26 discs with closed end cap. Worked really well.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

nmainehunter

Harp, I'm not sure what you mean. I have a closed end cap. I'll have to get some discs.

What about putting small washers between the discs?

harpwrench

Yeah I've used pop-rivet washers before. Normally for me it's been too many discs that cause a part throttle tip-in flat spot, I wouldn't think 12 would be too many but I guess it could be. So maybe don't rule out dropping a couple and trying it either. You might need to do some carb tuning. I would make sure the VOES is working properly before doing anything else.

kd

Quote from: nmainehunter on July 08, 2023, 02:55:25 PMHarp, I'm not sure what you mean. I have a closed end cap. I'll have to get some discs.

What about putting small washers between the discs?

As a point of reference, a few years ago the SuperTrapp guys at their SEMA booth  told me that their open endcap is worth a 10 to 12 disc count.  A 10-32 lock washer fits the fasteners perfect and has a spring seat when tightening.  The 10-32 lock washer has a value of 3 discs.  I can't quote it off the top of my head but the space between the discs when installed  as intended without a spacer is unbelievable close ( a few thousands of an inch) and they don't tolerate carbon well.  I just learned the carbon lesson recently.  Carbon is time consuming to clean from between the discs.
KD

nmainehunter

To carry this on in a different direction, no one mentioned anything about playing with the needle to get a change. Because it doesn't give me a fart or a sneeze it's hard for me to determine whether it's a rich or lean issue, whattaya think?

Deye76

I had the same issue with a S&S .561 cam, Super E and a ST. Went with 18 discs and a open end cap, solved my problem. Hope you get it figured out.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

nmainehunter

I went to Ebay and got six discs, that will put me at 18. We'll see!