April 27, 2024, 10:38:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

odd feelings in the brake lever

Started by bigfoot5x, July 19, 2023, 01:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfoot5x

2016 Street Glide Special. Owner's manual explains "Linked Brake ABS system". I just finished a 3500 mile trip to Milwaukee for the 120th anniversary party. We did not go straight to Milwaukee and home. On the way to Milwaukee, we rode one full day in a cold rain.

Toward the end of the cold, wet day the front brake lever started feeling odd. Instead of applying the brake as expected (and normally) it felt spongy and pulled in closer to the grip. First thought was, "How did air get into the system?" The bike still stopped just fine.

Since it had  the linked system, I started using the rear brake pedal more forcefully. It was as if the system was pushing more fluid into the front reservoir. (The front sight glass showed a full reservoir) The front bake lever would then feel normal again. I made sure to apply both brakes like a rider would do on a non linked brake bike. I did this for the rest of the trip and the bike stopped just fine the entire time.

I had flushed and bled the front and rear brakes before the trip but did not cycle valves in the ABS system. Is the system needing to be replaced or is it just that the valves need to be cycled? Anybody else have this happen?