April 27, 2024, 04:06:38 PM

News:

103 vs 107 build advice needed

Started by Adam76, July 25, 2023, 07:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

July 25, 2023, 07:35:28 PM Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 08:21:21 PM by Adam76
Hello,
I have a riding buddy (not on the forums) that has a 2016 Softail Deluxe. His current set up is a/c, maximus tuner and freedom 30" true dual shark tail exhaust, stage 1 download (yes I know it's a poor exhaust choice, but he doesn't really want to change them if possible. Maybe Freedom 2-2 is also a possibility)...

Is a 107" and cams with stock heads a waste of $$$ ?

Should he stay at 103" and just do cams and a good tune?

Or is 103" plus cams and a valve job (no porting) + cc'ing the heads for added compression a better option?

I'm not even sure what I'd do if it were my bike?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hossamania

What's his budget? How does he want to ride it?
The 103 is a decent motor, cams and a tune would probably be the best bang for the buck.
Don't over cam the motor, get cams to match his riding style.
If he is not hot rodding, head work probably isn't necessary as far as money spent, unless a lot of miles on the motor and could benefit from a refresh.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Truthfully he'd benefit greatly from at least a cleanup of the ports and a 1.9" intake valve put in the heads. The sheet below is a 107" with stock heads. Cams are Andrews 55's, and 10.5:1 compression. The stock heads really limit what the motor will make.

Improved flow by some head work will add HP as well as torque along the entire RPM range. If it were me, I'd wait until the head work is in the budget.

Also if someone besides me tuned the bike, maybe we would see 105hp or so.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on July 25, 2023, 08:25:54 PMWhat's his budget? How does he want to ride it?
The 103 is a decent motor, cams and a tune would probably be the best bang for the buck.
Don't over cam the motor, get cams to match his riding style.
If he is not hot rodding, head work probably isn't necessary as far as money spent, unless a lot of miles on the motor and could benefit from a refresh.
Thanks Hoss, riding style is mainly cruising but does get on it a bit to pass the odd truck on the highway.

His bike has only done 20,000 miles so probably doesn't "need" a freshen up unless it's just for increasing to a 107"

If it were cams only, I'd say maybe the S&S 583 ?

Adam76

July 25, 2023, 11:08:45 PM #4 Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 11:17:37 PM by Adam76
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 25, 2023, 08:37:39 PMTruthfully he'd benefit greatly from at least a cleanup of the ports and a 1.9" intake valve put in the heads.... The stock heads really limit what the motor will make.

Improved flow by some head work will add HP as well as torque along the entire RPM range. If it were me, I'd wait until the head work is in the budget.

Thanks Ohio,

I definitely agree that if going to 107 then headwork will really make it worth while.... but if staying at 103" ,  how much will headwork really add? If yes,  what would be a good choice of matching cams?

boooby1744

With that exhaust,it would be a good idea to lower overall gearing.

Adam76

Quote from: boooby1744 on July 25, 2023, 11:17:37 PMWith that exhaust,it would be a good idea to lower overall gearing.

Thanks, you mean at the primary or the rear sprocket?
What is the best gearing set up?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Adam76 on July 25, 2023, 11:08:45 PMThanks Ohio,

I definitely agree that if going to 107 then headwork will really make it worth while.... but if staying at 103" ,  how much will headwork really add? If yes,  what would be a good choice of matching cams?

Improved flow helps with all motor sizes.

Rockout Rocker Products

Don't do like me & choose the 107.

Then 110.  :emsad:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Hossamania

For me, cam choice on a stock 103 is the CR 570-2. Good low and mid range, pulls nicely to the top.
Lots of good choices though.
And of course, a good tune is the key.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Finn

Quote from: Hossamania on July 26, 2023, 07:02:55 AMFor me, cam choice on a stock 103 is the CR 570-2. Good low and mid range, pulls nicely to the top.
Lots of good choices though.
And of course, a good tune is the key.
"Hear, hear!"
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

hrdtail78

I would recommend 103 and head work.  Valve job, pocket porting and set the CC to what you want based on cam  choice.

Even if he isn't trying to bang of the rev limiter.  The worked heads will bring in lower RPM tq as well.
Semper Fi

harpwrench

Quote from: Adam76 on July 25, 2023, 11:08:45 PMI definitely agree that if going to 107 then headwork will really make it worth while.... but if staying at 103" ,  how much will headwork really add? If yes,  what would be a good choice of matching cams?

Here's my 103 with S&S 570's and true duals at 30K, stock pistons, just added headwork, throttle body, and trimmed cyls to zero deck. 1.865/1.585 valves, compression 10.4

You cannot see attachments on this board.

boooby1744

July 26, 2023, 12:00:03 PM #13 Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 01:45:03 PM by boooby1744
Quote from: Adam76 on July 26, 2023, 01:16:37 AM
Quote from: boooby1744 on July 25, 2023, 11:17:37 PMWith that exhaust,it would be a good idea to lower overall gearing.

a 31 tooth Andrews front pulley will give you 3% increase. An Evolution industries 49 tooth clutch basket  ring gear is almost 6%. Depends how much you want to spend among things.

Adam76

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 26, 2023, 10:50:15 AMI would recommend 103 and head work.  Valve job, pocket porting and set the CC to what you want based on cam  choice.

Even if he isn't trying to bang of the rev limiter.  The worked heads will bring in lower RPM tq as well.

Thanks, looks like headwork is more important than a few extra cubes.

With these softail true duals, what cams would you suggest be a good match?

Thanks

Adam76

Quote from: boooby1744 on July 26, 2023, 12:00:03 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on July 26, 2023, 01:16:37 AM

a 31 tooth Andrews front pulley will give you 3% increase. An Evolution industries 49 tooth clutch basket  ring gear is almost 6%. Depends how much you want to spend among things.

Thanks, it's hard to tell whether 3% or 6% is right when I've only ridden a bike with stock gearing..... Which one would you suggest? Thanks

harpwrench

My gut feeling is that if he doesn't want to ditch the fishtails then he would be happy with a 110 kit with S&S 585's, run the heads stock. GMR Steve did a bunch of them and felt it was the best bang for the buck. Made very strong torque in the low-mid range

Adam76

Quote from: harpwrench on July 26, 2023, 04:45:01 PMMy gut feeling is that if he doesn't want to ditch the fishtails then he would be happy with a 110 kit with S&S 585's, run the heads stock. GMR Steve did a bunch of them and felt it was the best bang for the buck. Made very strong torque in the low-mid range
Thanks harpwrench,

The 110" kit makes good sense --  if doing a big bore kit.

But with only cams +/- headwork, what do you think of the S&S 583 cams?? Would they be a good match for the fishtails??

harpwrench

I wouldn't think so, it closes the intake pretty early and holds the exhaust open pretty late. So possibly cranking compression issues and amplified reversion effect if the fishtails don't play nice. Maybe I would would stick SE255's in it but I'm not an expert with softails or fishtails:)

Ohio HD

If you're just looking to keep it simple for now, I agree with keeping it a 103". As well if the heads aren't in the budget, stick an Andrews 48 in there. It won't be a power house, but it'll move pretty good.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,103352.0.html

Adam76

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 26, 2023, 05:57:00 PMIf you're just looking to keep it simple for now, I agree with keeping it a 103". As well if the heads aren't in the budget, stick an Andrews 48 in there. It won't be a power house, but it'll move pretty good.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,103352.0.html

Thanks Ohio,

If he stays at 103 but could afford mild headwork, what cams would you suggest other than the 48's ?
Cheers

Adam76

Quote from: harpwrench on July 26, 2023, 05:37:07 PMI wouldn't think so, it closes the intake pretty early and holds the exhaust open pretty late. So possibly cranking compression issues and amplified reversion effect if the fishtails don't play nice. Maybe I would would stick SE255's in it but I'm not an expert with softails or fishtails:)

OK thanks. I thought the 583 cams were specifically designed as a bolt in cam for the 103 ?? I could be wrong.
Cheers

Ohio HD

Quote from: Adam76 on July 26, 2023, 06:20:06 PMThanks Ohio,

If he stays at 103 but could afford mild headwork, what cams would you suggest other than the 48's ?
Cheers

I don't see anything wrong with the sheet that harpwrench posted. The 570 cams will give a little broader range than the 585 cams will. As he stated the true duals with fishtails can cause havoc with the tune. But if that's what the guy wants, he may not see the full potential of what ever is used. The truth shows up in the tuning.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: harpwrench on July 26, 2023, 04:45:01 PMMy gut feeling is that if he doesn't want to ditch the fishtails then he would be happy with a 110 kit with S&S 585's, run the heads stock. GMR Steve did a bunch of them and felt it was the best bang for the buck. Made very strong torque in the low-mid range
That's what I did to my dyna. It was a stock 88, so the bump in torque was major as long as I keep the revs up.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

harpwrench

This is an interesting dyno thread with freedom fishtails, there's a couple video links to check and see if they're the same as yours

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,77305.msg851737.html#msg851737