April 27, 2024, 02:45:09 AM

News:

Pushrod Straightness

Started by GLFLSTCI02, July 27, 2023, 11:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLFLSTCI02

I checked my stock non-adjustable pushrods on the surface plate and none of these suckers are straight. I can roll them all and see light coming and going. How much out of true is acceptable on these things before they need replacing? Stock motor with 75000 Kms, I really expected them to be sraighter than this. Ball ends all look good.

Gene
"Gee Ward, you were a little hard on the Beaver last night" June Cleaver

SP33DY

If you see daylight under them, they're bent. Once they are the least bit bent they have lost their "column" strength and they're done.

JSD

Are you running stock valve springs ?

GLFLSTCI02

Yes it is a completely stock motor. I checked the rods again yesterday and a couple of them have witness marks from rubbing the tubes, top and bottom, the ones with the worst marks are the most bent. Looks to be only a few thou of bend in them, some have a couple of bends. In any case I have a set of Smith adjustables on the way, geez could have saved a bunch of work by just cutting them out to start with, oh well I got to have a look at everything up top.

Gene

FSG

drill out the PR Tube Tops before you reassemble

GLFLSTCI02

Quote from: FSG on July 29, 2023, 10:01:03 AMdrill out the PR Tube Tops before you reassemble

Do I drill out the entire length? How much should I take off? I have a lathe I can use for this.

Gene

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

FSG

Quote from: FSG on May 31, 2017, 12:41:33 AMYou don't need to go all the way through, 1-1/2" at the top is more than enough.

Use a 5/8" (0.625") drill bit, yes it's thin at the top, but there is enough there to support the O-Ring and that's all that's needed.

Ancient => A HTT thread on the PR Tube topic  TC Upper Pushrod Tubes