April 28, 2024, 05:04:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Static Timing

Started by GLFLSTCI02, August 01, 2023, 12:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLFLSTCI02

I have replaced the ignition sensor plate while doing some work in the camchest and need to static time the ignition. I have searched and have found some good instructions but I have not found any that tell me what wire/wires I need to tap into at the ignition module with the VOM. Can anyone tell me what colour wires I need to tap into at the 7 pin connector? The bike is a 1995 Dyna, no CPS.

TIA,
Gene
"Gee Ward, you were a little hard on the Beaver last night" June Cleaver

Breeze

A timing method that works for points ign. and should work for electronic is to put a radio set to AM frequency and between stations close to the bike. When a plug fires the radio sound will pop.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

xlfan

Tapping into the ignition pickup/cam position sensor wiring have never been an issue I have ever seen discussed in SM's,magazines or forums regarding static timing, but IIRC the green (maybe green/white in -95) wire is the signal wire.

Ohio HD

As xlfan said, most likely use the green(+) wire and the black(-) wire for reading the voltage changes as the motor is slowly turn towards the power stroke.

GLFLSTCI02

Ohio is exactly right as far as my stock 1995 FXDS is concerned. I tapped into the Green and the Black on the male side of the 7 pin connector with a VOM and was able to static time the motor.
This however happened only after I removed the "new" Drag Specialties sensor which was defective out of the box and put my 28 year old melted OEM back in. A lot of this aftermarket is pure junk, I got a 2000i on the way, I hope it fares better.
Thanks for everyones help with this, could not find the answer anywhere but I got it here, great stuff!

Gene
"Gee Ward, you were a little hard on the Beaver last night" June Cleaver

pauly

Haha great idea! I never would have thought of that.
Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: Breeze on August 02, 2023, 01:58:12 AMA timing method that works for points ign. and should work for electronic is to put a radio set to AM frequency and between stations close to the bike. When a plug fires the radio sound will pop.