May 09, 2024, 02:42:21 AM

News:

OT Lost Job today

Started by jimrookie, June 10, 2009, 02:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WideBoy04

I know your concern. My area is getting hit hard. Got my notice a few months
ago. Be done by end of the year. Depending on my bumping rights might make it
a little beyond that. I get 5 days to qualify for a job lower senior had 6 months
to qualify for. Cut back on trips, sold the second bike, paying off all debt, and
saving as much as possible. Should be able to survive on Unemployment and any-
thing else the gov't says I qualify for until I move on. Better off than some not as
good as most, but if I can stay healthy at 52, should be able to enjoy whats left
of the game. Good Luck to you all.

Jim :sink:

Galatians 2:20

ROADKINGKIM

I just went thur this in Dec. On the 1st of Dec they told us we would be closing our store on Dec 15th(new car dealer that I've been with since 1977) Took 6mos off and same family opend another dealer (different brand on Jun 1 )and brought me back. I used the time to do somethings around the house.

Jeffd

For every door that closes many more get slammed shut.  We need to stop the out sourcing of good jobs.  At what point is enough enough? 

kickstart

Quote from: jimrookie on June 10, 2009, 07:03:30 PM
Thanks all for the positive motivation! I do feel better allready
and I must say there are alot of great people on this site .Thanks again

Just be glad you saw it coming.
Everything is paid for and you can sit it out,
Gonna be a long time till that Obama check gets here

Enjoy the american way
Just remember to vote when they ask you too
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

Deye76

Quote from: FLH_Rider on June 10, 2009, 06:58:55 PM
Your lucky, you could be a supplier to the auto companies. I was laid off on March 5th and still looking. Because I am in the forging industry and most companies I know of are down a min. of 40% no one is hiring.
I have been looking nation wide also. I am either over qualified or at 58 y/o no one wants to hire me.
Looking at starting over in a career is quite something especially being older. At the moment unemployment barely covers expenses. So savings is dwindling. The only good thing is the reduction of COBRA insurance from the stimulus package. Otherwise insurance would be about $1,100 a month.
But hopefully something shakes soon.
Oh yeah I do not believe the unemployment numbers one bit. I firmly beleive they are min. of 25% or more. At least in Michigan anyway.

Wayne County (Detroit/Dearborn/Livonia-surrounding area) is about 50% unemployment currently.
Those with college degrees are among the many that have gone over 2 years without finding work.....except for stocking shelves at Target on the afternoon shift for $10.00 hr. My heart goes out to those who have lost jobs.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Sc00ter

Quote from: jimrookie on June 10, 2009, 07:03:30 PM
Thanks all for the positive motivation! I do feel better allready
and I must say there are alot of great people on this site .Thanks again

Why don't you post your job skills and experience here - maybe someone from your area will become aware of a job opening that may suit you...

(maybe that is an idea for an off topic thread - help a brother find a job?)   :nix:  (just a thought)

apes

It seems like a prerequisites for getting a construction job in Calif is nail bag and to have Spanish as a first language

Deye76

Quote from: apes on June 12, 2009, 01:23:39 PM
It seems like a prerequisites for getting a construction job in Calif is nail bag and to have Spanish as a first language
That's prolly in all 50 states. For sure in Mich., and Tenn. based on my experience.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hd-dream

June 12, 2009, 01:56:03 PM #33 Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:20:39 PM by hd-dream
do not be to hard on yourself and be prepared to look through every door.

On Dec 4th I was on my way into work when I recieved a call from a guy who worked under me.  He said the doors were locked and a sign saying we shut down.  I can not stand gutless owners/upper management that can not tell you to your face that the job is gone.  They came in over nite and took all the computers and files.  I even went to sturgis with the Owner and also the President of the company.  I am still pissed at them.

I enrolled in an alternative cert program to get my teaching certificate and went to a job fair and was hired on the spot for the fall semester.

chris haynes

My job has me working less than half as many hours as usual. My Ole Lady has been told that as of Sept 1st they will be outsourcing her job of 23 years to a man in Chile.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

Burch

Best of luck, and as has been said, hang in there. Everthing happens for a reason!!

Wehave to take a week lay off each quater this year. I am at the end of my second quater lay off now. Made the best of it. Worked on my house, spent some time with my folks, went fishing, and did a little riding.

I wonder what will happen when the grand kids of all these CEO's who are shipping the jobs overseas are looking for work...how will they feel then!!! What goes around, comes around!!

Good Luck!!

Burch
Burch

autoworker

Damn Shame.
Hope you find meaningful employment soon.

I believe this country is in a "world" of hurt.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

crash1292

Hang in there...I also work construction in Milwaukee and its been real slow ,10hrs a week sometimes....what kind of work do you do?
local 75 plumber on this end

EL-AL

JOBS.....
   The Post office is starting to screw with people on Light or limited duty even if it's an on the job injury or military disability. They are cutting people down to 2-4 hours! I'm retiring early because of my service connected disability..... hoping to make it up filing for a $$ increase from the VA.
XXX

truck

Mack Trucks is going to have a 5 week shut down this summer (at the Macungie PA plant where they make vocational trucks, their bread and butter).
This is on top of a dry spell of a few weeks when their fuel tank supplier went out of business.
I don't know why the Dow is increasing, there is nothing to be happy about.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

jimrookie

Quote from: crash1292 on June 13, 2009, 05:20:26 AM
Hang in there...I also work construction in Milwaukee and its been real slow ,10hrs a week sometimes....what kind of work do you do?
local 75 plumber on this end
I was a Mechanic, (small engine,Bobcats) tool repair,maintenance,shop supply, job delivery