May 09, 2024, 06:59:35 AM

News:

OT Lost Job today

Started by jimrookie, June 10, 2009, 02:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimrookie

10 years 10 days and I loved it for 9 1/2 years.the economy has been hard on commercial construction in Milwaukee
and it seems today I am a Axe Victom. just had to share...Jim

Garry in AZ

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Jim. I hope you are able to find something you enjoy just as much, very soon. Best of luck to you!

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

harborjohn

That sucks. Remember they cant keep a good man down!!! Something will come up.

Big Dan

Sorry to hear this, Jim. I hope somethin' breaks loose for ya real quick.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

05FLHTC

Losing something you enjoy is really hard, here is my best wishes JIM that you find an even better replacement.

Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

Evo160K

Jim, best of luck to you from this point on.

dablaze

Good luck dude, it does suck, especially when ya have a lot of years in, but the funny thing is I never find that there is much I would go backwards to as far as jobs go...always seems to be better opportunities waiting...might be due to experience?

Hang tough!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

Snuff™

Remember, you do control your own destiny.  Your previous employer just gave you a push for you to get closer to yours.  Things will get better.  Like dablaze states, "I never find that there is much I would go backwards to as far as jobs go...always seems to be better opportunities waiting..."

-Snuff :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

RK101

Jim, Worked allot of commercial construction myself. Just because one door closes that doesn't mean another one doesn't open.Good luck. :up:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

marc

That sux man...Went through that 7 years ago...Keep yer chin up...

panjs

Hey Jim, last spring my job was "outsourced".
Had the summer off and found a new job at the end of summer. Worked out very nice and I'm happier now than with my previous employer.
It's hard but try to be positive about it.
Jim

the Grump

When one door shuts, another opens... Keep the Faith Brother

Sc00ter

Keep your head up and focus on the future - the past is the past - yesterday's news.

You never know - changing jobs could end up being best thing that ever happened to you!

crossbonz

sorry to hear about that jim. i wish you all the luck, and like others have said- things happen for a reason. keep the faith brother!

FLH_Rider

Your lucky, you could be a supplier to the auto companies. I was laid off on March 5th and still looking. Because I am in the forging industry and most companies I know of are down a min. of 40% no one is hiring.
I have been looking nation wide also. I am either over qualified or at 58 y/o no one wants to hire me.
Looking at starting over in a career is quite something especially being older. At the moment unemployment barely covers expenses. So savings is dwindling. The only good thing is the reduction of COBRA insurance from the stimulus package. Otherwise insurance would be about $1,100 a month.
But hopefully something shakes soon.
Oh yeah I do not believe the unemployment numbers one bit. I firmly beleive they are min. of 25% or more. At least in Michigan anyway.

jimrookie

Thanks all for the positive motivation! I do feel better allready
and I must say there are alot of great people on this site .Thanks again

02roadcling

glad you are taking it well tonite.
bummer today .......... but it will all be ok soon. trust me and all your other friends here.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Dennis The Menace

Cool, more riding time!

Seriously, take a little time off and ride around and enjoy a little vacation time.  Cuz you will find another job, then its back to work.

Hang in there, you'll be fine

menace

V24me

Like others have said, at least it's now and not in October.  Get some time on the scoot and it'll give you some distance and perspective. 
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

Lost my job on Monday officially but before Mangement told me I got a letter from Blue cross Blue Shield last thursday informing me that Monday would be my last day with health insurance.  Pretty crappy unprofessional way to find out.  I'm in the agriculture industry and I am interviewing for two jobs on friday but everything involves relocating.  I guess luckily for me there seems to be some jobs in agriculture yet. Yeah it sucks but I plan on being better because of it.  Hang in there and remember you are not alone.  Wish you the best.
02 EG 95" Carb WT Crusher 118hp/108tq

Gunney8

Been there too (still am). Got axed in Nov, dang they could of done it a few months earlier or later but it sucked being laid off in CO winter.
At 64 years old not too expectant anyone will hire me either... hell I wouldn't hire me, lol ("overqualified" usually means they think you're too old). Unemployment is good and I keep looking... lotsa interviews, no offers (I ain't young nor shave my legs so that hurts a bit!!!). You are lucky to have trade experience and this crap will be over soon enuff that you'll get something. In the mean time, just do the unemployment thing, send out your resumes, check job boards and enjoy the time you never had before. A little bit of financial advise.... live on cash and stay away from credit cards as much as possible. I cut all kinds of things to live on cash and it really wasn't hard. My utilitiy bills have never been lower, my gas bills even lower (ride the bike way more than before) and I've even lost some much need weight because I don't eat out at the fast foods at all anymore (and don't miss em either). Hang in there,... this too shall pass....

Glenn W

I'm just south of ya, been there a job-wise a few times myself. 20 yrs at one job, they went bankrupt, 7-1/2 in the next, they reduce down to almost nothing outside of Mexico. I learned on big lesson-life will go on and never be afraid of not having a job again. There are worse things, like poor health. A few basic rules-act like every dime you spend right now is a loan you have to pay back. Slash your expenses, there's always something you can do without. Say goodby to restaurants if you don't have a really good deal/coupon. Pay the minimum on everything, there will be time to pay things off later. If you have any repayment problems don't wait for them to call you!!! Call them first. Lots of places will work with you to reduce monthly bills while you look for employment. Enjoy a little bit of the new spare time. Fill a water bottle and head down to the beach. Hit the museum. Go take a nap in the shade. Take a putt past Froedert with the warm sun on ya and be glad you aren't in there instead of on the bike :up:
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

Phu Cat

Been downsized myself.  As others have said, something better will come along.  But it's the hassle of having to start over with seniority, vacation, pay, etc.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Princess Butt

The last time I was "reorganized", I walked into a better job making more money, with better job security.

Don't let it get you down. Just because they don't know how to run a company and keep work flowing and people employed, it's not your fault.

Keep your chin up, your eyes open, and remember: Shiny side up.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

72shovel

Yep, I'm there too, and it sux. I had prostate cancer surgery at the end of February, was on short-term disability for 6 weeks. 3 days before returning to work, I got a letter in the mail telling me that I was laid off. It's gonna be tough to start over at 50 years old, but it looks like it's time to learn a new trade. In Michigan, we've got something called No Worker Left Behind, where I understand the state will pay for your training. Just have to see what comes up.