May 01, 2024, 09:08:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam Plate mounting Bolts

Started by JDhog211, August 02, 2023, 08:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDhog211

Hey Guys, how many of you use Blue Locktite 243 when torquing down your Cam Plate bolts?  I own a 2004 FLHT and yes I have used blue Locktite mentioned to torque mine.
My question is , No Where in my 2004 Harley Shop Manual ( Harley 2004 Edition) does it mention the use of it. It does state the use of Red 262 when torquing the sprockets down but nothing about the Cam Plate bolts.
Now yes, I know S&S instructions do mention it, but not Fueling. 
Fueling actually mentions using their Moly lubricant on their threads as well as under the heads of each bolt.
Now, how do you explain that one.
S&S wants you to use Locktite, while Fueling wants you to use their Moly lube.
HD mentions NOTHING. I guess whatever floats your boat.
In basic mechanics school we were taught anytime you used a lubricant on bolt threads when torquing down you must reduce your torque value be 20% or your going to over torque toe value.
My point is, in my opinion, I don't use Locktite on steel into aluminum because it can damage the aluminum.
This is why I Believe the Harley Davidson Manual is correct in it's not mentioning the use of Locktite on their Cam plate bolts.
What's your ideas's.

Sorry this was so long.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

FXDBI

I use blue Loctite on every bolt that dont call for red in the manual and use min torque. Just a small dab a few threads up from the end. I am anal about cleaning and prep and blowing out all threaded holes. People have differnt ideas I am sure but its worked for me on bikes since the 70s. Bob

xlfan

IIRC the OEM bolts are loctited from factory, and the SM calls for replacing the bolts whenever disassembled.

The cleaning and prepping of threaded holes in aluminium, is a longterm insurance to prevent thread pullout.

kd

Whatever you do, replace the 2 fasteners in the dowel positions with !/4" studs and 12 point flange nuts.  Loctite the studs in with red and use heat to soften it if you decide to remove one or both.  (You probably never will though) 

If you are not informed on this modification read this thread

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,91840.msg1149112.html#msg1149112
KD

chas

Hd mentions using oil under the cam sprocket bolt heads for accurate torque per the service manual

fbn ent

:agree: with what kd said. A no brainer now that I know.  :baby:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

FSG

August 16, 2023, 10:30:33 PM #6 Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 10:59:20 PM by FSG
the Cam Plate Hex Cap Screws come from HD with the lock patch on them

I never use the lock patch preferring to brush it off and use liquid or paste Loctite and in this case it'd bee blue

FSG

August 16, 2023, 10:41:55 PM #7 Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 10:53:36 PM by FSG
and for completeness DON'T mix up the Cam Cover (1/4-20 x 1-1/4") Screws with the Cam Plate (1/4-20 x 1") Screws,

that extra 1/4" in the wrong place can dimple the lifter bore and that for sure will ruin your day

biggzed

Quote from: FXDBI on August 02, 2023, 09:32:13 PMI use blue Loctite on every bolt that dont call for red in the manual and use min torque. Just a small dab a few threads up from the end. I am anal about cleaning and prep and blowing out all threaded holes. People have differnt ideas I am sure but its worked for me on bikes since the 70s. Bob

I use this kit to clean the threads of old loctite. Works great and doesn't cut like a tap would.

Zach

Thread Chaser Kit

Hilly13

Quote from: FSG on August 16, 2023, 10:41:55 PMand for completeness DON'T mix up the Cam Cover (1/4-20 x 1-1/4") Screws with the Cam Plate (1/4-20 x 1") Screws,

that extra 1/4" in the wrong place can dimple the lifter bore and that for sure will ruin your day

Wouldn't that make you feel a little Ill!
Just because its said don't make it so

Hossamania

Quote from: Hilly13 on August 24, 2023, 10:10:41 AM
Quote from: FSG on August 16, 2023, 10:41:55 PMand for completeness DON'T mix up the Cam Cover (1/4-20 x 1-1/4") Screws with the Cam Plate (1/4-20 x 1") Screws,

Wouldn't that make you feel a little Ill!

A little Paintless Dent Repair and good to go!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FSG