April 27, 2024, 08:26:03 AM

News:

2018 M8 ultra limited engine noise

Started by Trobec, August 07, 2023, 08:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trobec

My 2018 Electra glide ultra limited has had a tapping noise since it was new starting at 2,000 rpm. Two years ago I did the S&S oil pump,cam plate,475 cam lifters pushrods and tappet cuffs. Still had a tapping noise. Took to the dealer got the "it sounds normal" crap. Took it to another shop same thing. Now the tapping noise had gone from a tap to a slight knocking sound. Was driving me up the wall so I tore the oil pump apart to make sure everything was ok. Everything checked out fine. Put it back together,adjusted the pushrods (3.5 turns) and still had the same noise. After some research I found someone suggested to load the lifters to .140-.150. I adjusted the pushrods to 4.5 turns and now the noise is completely gone. So if you have an M8 with a noisy engine try adjusting your pushrods before you throw money at it. It's free 👍

FLDavetrain

Those lifters must be bleeding down too quickly. Don't be surprised if your fix doesn't last too long but hopefully it does
currently 510ci on tap

JSD

As Above you may need better lifters. 

Ohio HD

There are a lot of lifters in TC and M8 motors running around with an adjusted depth of 0.140". I wouldn't go deeper, but those that I've adjusted that way have been going for years.

Trobec

Quote from: FLDavetrain on August 08, 2023, 04:23:09 PMThose lifters must be bleeding down too quickly. Don't be surprised if your fix doesn't last too long but hopefully it does
I do have a set of Wood platinum night prowler directional lifter's that will be going in next week or so. Pretty cool design with no needle bearings.