May 01, 2024, 01:39:45 PM

News:

Question for Hoss on the Andrews 54 cams

Started by TXHogrider, August 09, 2023, 07:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXHogrider

Hi Hoss,
Don't you run a set of Andrews 54 cams in a twin cam?  I'm looking at using them for mine and I have a few questions for you.
What compression are you using and what is the CCP?  Do they have good low speed manners (my bike is a daily driver and I ride in traffic and through neighborhoods and parking lots), or do they prefer to be kept at a higher rpm range?

SP33DY

I also run Andrews 54 cams.

My 2009 bagger is 107", 11:1 c.r., with Axtell Mountain Motor pistons, ported heads, S&S 58mm Throttle Hog, S&S air cleaner, stock pipes with Rush mufflers.

The bike is very calm in normal riding, but pulls like a locomotive when I get on it, and it easily brings the front wheel up a little on a rolling wfo pull.

Due to my high compression ratio, it was timing sensitive, but easily adjusted. Generally, 54's work very well with flat top pistons at 10:1 c.r. with excellent manners. These are great cams if you want strong low and mid-range power.

TXHogrider

Thanks SP33DY, that's exactly what i was hoping to hear.  I am boring and stroking a 2005 softail to 103", porting the heads with 1.9" intake valves, and compression around 10.2 - 10.3 depending and how for the pistons are down in the cylinders at TDC. I'll be using stock manifold, S&S intake, and due to my styling choice, I will hamper it with true duals and fishtail glasspack mufflers.  It will still be soooo much better than the stock 88"!

Hossamania

I am running gear drive 55's, they are soft on the bottom end, but pull like crazy on top end, the way I wanted it set up. Couldn't tell you compression, running SE flattops, 95". This is almost 20 year old build, so some details lost.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

RTMike

This one is 10.4:1 hope this helps,all the info is on the bottom of the sheet.You cannot see attachments on this board.

TXHogrider

RTMike, thanks.  That's a good looking graph.  Probably a shape close to what I'll end up with using true duals.  Mine might be slightly lower since it will probably be a point or two less compression than yours.  I assume your riding impression is the same as SP33dy? 
 I'm sure I'll be happy.

Hoss, thanks for responding, for some reason I thought you used 54 cams.

Adam76

Quote from: RTMike on August 09, 2023, 09:23:33 AMThis one is 10.4:1 hope this helps,all the info is on the bottom of the sheet.You cannot see attachments on this board.

Thanks for posting RTMIKE,  that is one extremely nice result.

What pistons did you run?  And what was exactly done to the heads?
Cheers