April 27, 2024, 07:09:29 AM

News:

lifter change

Started by tbird, August 23, 2023, 07:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbird

will the lifters drop down with cams and oil pump removed or do the lifter blocks need to be removed? I know on the twin cam they have to be removed. Someone on another board said that you can.

Coyote

You're gonna have to pull the blocks anyway to put it back together.  :nix:

BigT

Quote from: tbird on August 23, 2023, 07:14:30 AMwill the lifters drop down with cams and oil pump removed or do the lifter blocks need to be removed? I know on the twin cam they have to be removed. Someone on another board said that you can.
Yes, the lifters will pass through into the cam chest.

rigidthumper

Lifters can be installed from the cam cavity, and then held in place with clips- there are plastic tappet guides (that some prefer to replace with aluminum, but it's not mandatory) to hold them in proper orientation.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

tbird

why do you have to pull the blocks to put it back together? If the old ones can drop through the bottom why can't the new ones go in from the bottom?

Dan89flstc

Quote from: tbird on August 23, 2023, 06:49:47 PMwhy do you have to pull the blocks to put it back together? If the old ones can drop through the bottom why can't the new ones go in from the bottom?

Read post 2 & 3...

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

tbird

I want to put a cam in my 20 107 FLT. I've done several tc cams. I'm going to borrow a cam bearing install tool. Cam, pushrods,bearing, lifters, tuner and a tune. Didn't want to pull the lifter blocks and keepers if I didn't have to.

Hilly13

And post 2 and 3 tell you that you don't "have" to, lots of people do to change out the plastic guides cuffs or whatever they are called.
Just because its said don't make it so

BigT

Quote from: Hilly13 on August 25, 2023, 05:28:22 AMAnd post 2 and 3 tell you that you don't "have" to, lots of people do to change out the plastic guides cuffs or whatever they are called.
There are also several hundred thousand bikes out there that still running the plastic lifter guides without issues since 2017.

HogMike

Quote from: Hilly13 on August 25, 2023, 05:28:22 AMAnd post 2 and 3 tell you that you don't "have" to, lots of people do to change out the plastic guides cuffs or whatever they are called.

And, if you DO decide to replace the plastic guides, be VERY careful removing the bolts, they are very tight and prone to breaking.
I went with S&S guides.
No real reason to replace them, the stock ones seem to be fine.

JMHO of course!

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hilly13

Quote from: BigT on August 25, 2023, 05:45:16 AM
There are also several hundred thousand bikes out there that still running the plastic lifter guides without issues since 2017.
100%
Just because its said don't make it so

pauly

The service manual recommends heating the bolts before removal, with what I assume is one of those inductive heaters. I guess they used red Loctite on them.
Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: HogMike on August 25, 2023, 05:46:46 AM

And, if you DO decide to replace the plastic guides, be VERY careful removing the bolts, they are very tight and prone to breaking.
I went with S&S guides.

JMHO of course!

Hossamania

Quote from: pauly on November 04, 2023, 04:55:26 AMThe service manual recommends heating the bolts before removal, with what I assume is one of those inductive heaters. I guess they used red Loctite on them.
Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: HogMike on August 25, 2023, 05:46:46 AM

I went with S&S guides.

JMHO of course!

Those bolts are very finicky to remove. They break easily, and then need to be drilled out. Do a search here for lifter cuff bolts, all kinds of info on proper technique, and fixes if it breaks. Those fixes are a pia, so don't break them.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.