May 08, 2024, 01:40:51 PM

News:

Flo Oil Filter - Stainless Steel Washable

Started by Ohio HD, September 01, 2023, 04:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

September 01, 2023, 04:34:45 PM Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 07:04:57 AM by Ohio HD
I had been on the fence for awhile about trying one of the stainless washable oil filters. What I like is easily being able to see any potential debris that could be in the motor, a lot easier than cutting an oil filter apart, which is what I do now. I always had a small concern that the heavier aluminum body might possible add to a small possibility that the filter could loosen. I've not heard that these types of filters have done that, but just something that stuck in my head.

The other day I was looking at some King of the Bagger racing videos. I came across one that spoke of the HD SE Racing Team using Flo Filters. I zoomed in to the video, and sure enough there it was. I looked around on the PC Racing web site at the Flo filters, they do have a provision for a safety wire on the 11/16" nut machined on the filter body. They also have a torque spec of 15 ft. lbs.

The main reason they interest me is that the only time their filter bypass opens is in the event of the filter becoming clogged shut. And because of this the oil is always filtered. I'm due for an oil change on my 124" bike in a week or so and will try it out then.

The pics are what you get in the box. They also give a spare o-ring which is nice.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

JSD

Ohio HD

It does. But there's also potentially a lot of aluminum and brass that can swirl through a motor. I own that T-shirt.

FXDBI

I have had a K&P engineering full flow thats very similar for well over 10 years now. Cant say enough good about it, has paid for itself many times over. Money well spent.  Bob

Ohio HD

September 01, 2023, 05:36:51 PM #4 Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 05:22:37 PM by Ohio HD
The K&P Engineering and PC Racing filters are almost identical. What tipped the scales for me was how fast that PC Racing got back to me. I had a few questions of both of them.

kd

I have been using one for several years.  I had some doubts also but did like the easy inspection part.  When I first ran my engine I picked up a few very minute tics of aluminum and no sludge on the magnet during the light oil start-up / heat cycles and none after that.  When I considered how sketchy some filters are and the fact that they all pretty well bypass (some even at idle) until the engine oil is heated up, they were worth trying.  As long as you're not pushing the oil change intervals too hard, I don't see any downside. Like you said, they have been in service for years and you don't hear any bad things about them.  Mine is remote mounted under the left passenger foot board. Easy access and clean to service quick. I expect, if the finned canister is mounted in the air flow, it helps cooling a hot engine too.  I think you'll be as happy as the rest of us are.
KD

Ohio HD

September 01, 2023, 06:21:15 PM #6 Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 09:11:38 AM by Ohio HD
I agree with everything you said, and I also see no downside. Since I do run this motor fairly hard, it's not a get out and slow cruise bike, the paper filters can also open the bypass at higher RPM. And I do run 20W-60 in this bike. I most likely will also get one for the other bike.

FXDBI

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 01, 2023, 05:36:51 PMThe K&P Engineering and RC Racing filters are almost identical. What tipped the scales for me was how fast that PC Racing got back to me. I had a few questions of both of them.

K&P was the only ones making them when I bought mine, I had used similar filters in industrial applications and was always impressed with the ease of inspection for particulate. It was here on HTT I first heard of them for a harley, figured filters were close to $20 it would pay for itself. Not only in filter costs but early detection of problems. Peace of mind on break-in has well. Added bonus one less thing to dispose of.

Bob

FSG

still providing good service on the '03 Fatty   :SM:   

Tacocaster

I've been running a Pure Flo for more than 10 years - back when they advertised them as "used in aircraft engines" and have never questioned my purchase. Even the 2 O-rings have stood the test of time so it makes me wonder why they thought to include an extra ring for today's version.

What really stood out as a positive for me on today's version though is the upgrade to the rare earth magnet location as it relates to cleaning. On the earlier Pure Flo version, the 2 magnets are rod-shaped and in-line with the filter material pleats under the cage. Hard to clean - but they are effective.

They are high-milage, worry-free units, Ohio. I can't imagine you ever regretting your choice.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

turboprop

For a good laugh, go back and read some of the many threads about this filter on this forum. The countless opines from the armchair crowd are hilarious. There was considerable discussion on the ability/effectiveness of the typical harley owner to properly clean them at home as well as countless other 'sky is falling' scenarios resulting from using this doomsday filter. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

No Cents

I've been using the Flo oil filter for at least 8 years now...maybe longer. It was money well spent.
I do clean mine at each oil change using an ultra sonic cleaner with tap water and a couple of drops of Dawn dish soap in the water. The o-ring on the filter lasts for years before it needs replaced.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

calif phil

I am running the K&P on my bike, you can't go wrong with either brand. 

No Cents

September 02, 2023, 07:30:48 AM #13 Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 09:47:51 AM by Ohio HD
Brian...I did the Dan Moore relocation kit on the old Duracell. It makes for an easy no mess oil change. I put my oil pan directly under it and eliminated the oil mess you get when the filter was in the factory location in the front of the motor.

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Leed

I've been running them for years on both my 06 and 09 Electra Glides without a problem. Now that I relocated the filter to under the passenger floor board oil changes are mess free.

Ohio HD

Quote from: No Cents on September 02, 2023, 07:30:48 AMBrian...I did the Dan Moore relocation kit on the old Duracell. It makes for an easy no mess oil change. I put my oil pan directly under it and eliminated the oil mess you get when the filter was in the factory location in the front of the motor.

Ray, Dan Moore is shut down and said he isn't sure that he'll reopen. I guess one would have to get in contact with him in six months and see if he reopens. He's relocating and has a personal situation I won't bring up.

Deye76

I've been using spin on filters since 1978, even the automotive Fram's that everyone said was certain death, never a failure. Especially on a TC, if a lifter fails, no filter will save you. I buy the knock off K&N's at a very good price. I'm sure the FLO is a great product, less in the landfills is a plus.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

vetteandharley

Been running them on 2 Harley's and 2 Polaris RZR's without issues.

Ohio HD

I had forgotten to post the pic where they had the filter safety wired.

Hilly13

Just because its said don't make it so

tolobill

Been running then 5 yrs, on the twincam now the M8, never came loose. Check out ultracool Fan they use the Pro Flow also. As you know heat is the enemy, supposedly cools oil 50 to 60 degrees.

jmorton10

September 04, 2023, 03:47:28 PM #21 Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 04:02:41 PM by FSG
Been running the Flo for years on my 124 along with an Oil Bud cooler. I used to safety wire them, but I don't bother any more.

~John

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

itsafatboy

I would check this one out before you get the K&P ones and they all are pretty much K&P and i am saying anything bad about them have used them , this one is just built a little better , 

double woven stainless mesh, better absolute filtration

https://www.gopurepower.com/product/harley-davidson-motorcycle-oil-filter-pp8110/

the price is a bit higher than when i got but call them they have sales and probably could get a discount.

used it since 2001 , also on my old 04 tahoe 

Tacocaster

HOLY..........! The price of the PurePower product has more than skyrocketed!! Ridiculous!

I thought I had purchased a Pure Flo but after opening itsa's link I realized I have the Pure Power). When purchased it was only $100 CDN (about ~$0.20 USD). I'd have to pass on that initial cost today due to the shear cost - even though they pay for themselves eventually.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

koko3052

Quote from: Tacocaster on September 10, 2023, 03:44:08 AMHOLY..........! The price of the PurePower product has more than skyrocketed!! Ridiculous!

I thought I had purchased a Pure Flo but after opening itsa's link I realized I have the Pure Power). When purchased it was only $100 CDN (about ~$0.20 USD). I'd have to pass on that initial cost today due to the shear cost - even though they pay for themselves eventually.

Well, if they pay for themselves....then why do we have to pay for them also? :banghead: