April 27, 2024, 01:11:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Welding on Ironhead frame, procedure?

Started by sharkoilfield, September 03, 2023, 07:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

Major work on my 1974 XLCH is complete and I'm enjoying the bike. I'm using an aftermarket Cobra style seat that has tabs welded to the metal pan; they go into strut bolts. Solid; but not original. I do have an original Cobra seat; looks great but the previous owner cut off the two mounting ears on the front seat mounting bracket. What kind of precautions should I take if I want them welded back on? Disconnect battery, generator, ground as close as possible to welding area? Anything else?

Fugawee

First of all...I am far from a Pro Welder.
Done a few "quick fixes" with a welder but that's about it.
I think that I would totally remove the Battery, and the Gas Tank.
As well as protecting the Engine and the Oil Tank with something covering them.
This may be a little excessive to Some...but, I'd rather not be sorry later that I didn't do some form of protection earlier.

koko3052

Quote from: sharkoilfield on September 03, 2023, 07:33:28 AMMajor work on my 1974 XLCH is complete and I'm enjoying the bike. I'm using an aftermarket Cobra style seat that has tabs welded to the metal pan; they go into strut bolts. Solid; but not original. I do have an original Cobra seat; looks great but the previous owner cut off the two mounting ears on the front seat mounting bracket. What kind of precautions should I take if I want them welded back on? Disconnect battery, generator, ground as close as possible to welding area? Anything else?

You have the "cautions" covered. :up:

kd

KD