April 27, 2024, 11:59:39 PM

News:

2019 Electra Glide Standaerd Oil Puking

Started by WhipLash96, September 09, 2023, 12:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

As said in the title, I have a friend who has a 2019 Electra Glide Standard that started Puking oil. I don't remember for sure what the fix for this issue is. IIRC, didn't HD create a process with a template to drill a vent hole in the primary? Thanks In Advance.
Thanks,
Whip

rigidthumper

September 09, 2023, 04:41:10 AM #1 Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 04:50:36 AM by rigidthumper
Puking oil from the breathers is likely sumping, suggesting an upgrade to the 2020 oil pump for the fix. Part numbers are 62400247 for oil cooled models, 62400248 for twin cooled models. M1450
The vent in the primary was to address trans fluid transfer to the primary.  M1492
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

WhipLash96

Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

So, I was talking with my buddy about this problem and he had said that a head gasket is causing his issue?

I have never heard of that before. Is this possible? :scratch:
Thanks,
Whip

rigidthumper

I've seen a head gasket failure, but not on stock M8 engines. Blown head gasket wouldn't cause sumping, IMO.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Tacocaster

Yet another easy fix for this problem was to reduce the amount of motor oil installed. Some guys overdo the 'lube using the more is better rule. T'ain't always so.
There's ample information from some of the more astute members here on HTT regarding safe amounts (dipstick levels) to aim for.

But drilling a new hole is another way, certainly.
Your (his) call.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Tacocaster on October 11, 2023, 01:06:56 PMYet another easy fix for this problem was to reduce the amount of motor oil installed. Some guys overdo the 'lube using the more is better rule. T'ain't always so.
There's ample information from some of the more astute members here on HTT regarding safe amounts (dipstick levels) to aim for.

But drilling a new hole is another way, certainly.
Your (his) call.

I guess it's hard for me to believe that a blown head gasket would cause his bike to puke oil. When he bought this bike I told him to expect this issue to happen somewhere along the trough. His bike, his issue to figure out. Agreed on the above commentary about sumping. Yes, an additional vent hole will help.
Thanks,
Whip

TXHogrider

I have a 2019 Street Glide special that did have a rear head gasket go bad and leak.  I wouldn't classify it as "puking oil", but it was a messy oil leak.  My dealer replaced under warranty and said it was a recurring issue and the head gaskets had been "improved".  After replacing it, I have had no further issues with oil leaks.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

60Gunner

Puking oil out the breather bolts is a sign of poor crankcase breathing building pressure and/or blow by from poor ring seal. Poor ring seal is a side effect of poor crankcase breathing. It's a vicious circ!e.
Running a ha!f quart low on oil is not a fix. It's a bandaid masking the real problem.
oil not draining from the heads is going cause it to get carried out with the crankcase fumes.
The moco has a poor track record when it comes to oil pumps and crankcase breathing.