April 27, 2024, 08:44:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Wondering?

Started by roadkingdresser, September 13, 2023, 03:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Bought the wife an 18 tri-glide since she can't ride the Road King anymore. Thinking about decatting the head pipe this winter. So what will I have to do as far as a tuner, everything is stock on the thing except for the S/E mufflers. She has already burnt her shoes to the exhaust And says about how much heat is there. Or should I just leave it alone, already have enough money spent.
roadkingdresser

rigidthumper

I did some testing with my trikes, and the M8s are not as lean as the Twin Cams after cat removal. I found the system follows the ECM map very closely, even after cat removal. I rode mine for a while with a decat headpipe, S&S Stealth AC, and Fullsac baffles in the stock muffler shells (similar sound/performance, even changed the intake manifold to the aluminum one. Didn't add a tuner (TTS or Power Vision) until I was ready to switch cams. The Tri Glide always felt warmer on my legs than the Freewheeler, due to the fairing lowers.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

roadkingdresser

Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear. I don't think I'll be doing a cam change on it. She just turned 67 and I don't think she'll need any more horsepower. I'M JUST GLAD SHE IS WELL ENOUGH TO RIDE ON HER OWN! Going to wait till winter and take the exhaust off and decat it. Thanks again!
roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

Rigidthumper,I just bought a header pipe on ebay for the wifes trike what is the easiest way or the best way to decat it?
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

Quote from: roadkingdresser on November 01, 2023, 12:57:37 PMRigidthumper,I just bought a header pipe on ebay for the wifes trike what is the easiest way or the best way to decat it?

The way a friend of mine did it is to just dig out the cat material as well as possible using whichever tool is easiest, I think he used a pry bar, and then took a wire wheel welded to a long shaft (easier for him than finding one) and cleaned out the rest of the material. No need to cut the pipe and reweld like the TC pipes.
Rigidthumper may have a much easier solution.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

roadkingdresser

Sounds like an idea! Thanks.
roadkingdresser

rigidthumper

My preferred weapon of choice on M8 cats is a prybar :)
Slide it in along the perimeter, tap with hammer for depth, rotate 90°, move to the next section. Keep going until the entire chunk will fall out. Takes about an hour, and good exercise for an old man :)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

roadkingdresser

November 02, 2023, 10:38:00 AM #7 Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 03:26:09 PM by FSG
Thank you, lord knows this old man could use the excercise, especially since we got our first snow and i'm thinking hibernation!
roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

November 09, 2023, 03:12:59 AM #8 Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 07:10:33 AM by roadkingdresser
Changed the head pipe yesterday. About 2 weeks ago I put the kit on to raise the rear 1 1/4" didn't really notice how close the pipe was on the right side. Ever run into this,think it might be a problem, if so what would be a cure? Thanks.
roadkingdresser