News:

TC cam plate

Started by vern, September 19, 2023, 01:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern

is it posible to change
 the cam plate in my 2001 tc to an 2006 cam platewith out mods? thanks

Ohio HD

The cam plate part number for the 2001 is 25267-99B. That part is obsolete from HD. So they substituted 25284-11 which is the 2006 cam plate. I know the cams are the same as well as the tensioners. So it should work fine.

RoadKingKohn

I am pretty sure it is the same part. I could be wrong but check the part number on the 06 plate with the number on the 01 plate.

RoadKingKohn

I should have said as long as you are looking at two old plates.

Ohio HD

Hold on, the 25284-11 that HD says to use is the Screamin Eagle conversion plate. So are you asking about an old stock 2006 cam plate or ordering one from HD, the 25284-11?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/aa/en/shop/screamin-eagle-hydraulic-cam-chain-tensioner-plate-upgrade-kit/p/25284-11

xlfan

Quote from: vern on September 19, 2023, 01:15:09 PMis it posible to change
 the cam plate in my 2001 tc to an 2006 cam platewith out mods? thanks
Not if the camplate originate from a 2006 Dyna.

turboprop

Wait a minute. The OP asked if he could change the cam plate in his '01 bike to one from and '06 model. Didnt Harley change cam plates starting with '07, so isn't the plate from an '01 the same as the oem plate from an '06 model?

If so, then the answer is yes. If the OP i asking about changing to the newer style oem plate that came '07 bikes then with just an OEM plate, he would need conversion cams. All other oem '07 year stuff remains unchanged.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

The answer is absolutely yes if he has access to an older OEM 2006 cam plate. If ordering a new one, HD supplies the 25284-11 (hydraulic conversion plate) in place of the discontinued 25267-99B cam plate.

So there needs to be clarification as to where the replacement cam plate originates from.

98fxstc

Any OEM camplate up to 2006 will work except for a 2006 dyna camplate as xlfan noted.

smoserx1

QuoteIf so, then the answer is yes. If the OP i asking about changing to the newer style oem plate that came '07 bikes then with just an OEM plate, he would need conversion cams. All other oem '07 year stuff remains unchanged.

Just to clarify in case the OP was indeed referencing the 06 Dyna plate (and 07 for other engines), using one of these in an older model twin cam requires, in addition to the conversion cams, the later style oil pump, the later style chains and sprockets and both hydraulic tensioners.  However in my opinion it is a very good option if you want long term reliability.  That is what I did to my bike back in 2010 and it has been absolutely reliable for 13 years and 90000 miles.

Mi Infidel

Quote from: smoserx1 on September 20, 2023, 04:52:01 AM
QuoteIf so, then the answer is yes. If the OP i asking about changing to the newer style oem plate that came '07 bikes then with just an OEM plate, he would need conversion cams. All other oem '07 year stuff remains unchanged.

Just to clarify in case the OP was indeed referencing the 06 Dyna plate (and 07 for other engines), using one of these in an older model twin cam requires, in addition to the conversion cams, the later style oil pump, the later style chains and sprockets and both hydraulic tensioners.  However in my opinion it is a very good option if you want long term reliability.  That is what I did to my bike back in 2010 and it has been absolutely reliable for 13 years and 90000 miles.
This.

If you want to retain your current cams then no. You could go with the Fueling OE+ cam plate conversion SKU 8032 if you're wanting to use your cams and upgrade to hydraulic tensioners. Or you could just save a bunch of money and upgrade your spring tensioner shoes with Cyco shoes. 
2001 FXD 2006 stock heads 95" @ 10.5:1 Fueling 543
Dynatek ignition Supertrapp 2:1 29 tooth front pulley

vern

Seems that there are 2 points of view here yes I can and no I cant .I hade a look at the plate in question at my local jobber and it looked the same. BUT the shoes wear  on both the hyd and spring shoes so I put an upgraded set in. so im good for an other 40,000 km.

smoserx1

October 01, 2023, 09:44:49 AM #12 Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 01:26:13 PM by FSG
QuoteSeems that there are 2 points of view here yes I can and no I cant .

To help clarify this a little history is required. 

1.    From 2000-2006 the cam plates in the touring models were the same.  The early 1999 models had a slightly different plate that cannot be used with a Twin Cam B motor as used in the softail models since it lacks the oiling capability for the balancers.  Conversely if a 2000-later model plate is used in an early 1999 it requires a slight modification to block the oil feed that would normally supply oil to the balancers on the B motor.

2.    In 2006 the Dyna models got a significantly different cam plate.  It no longer uses ball and roller bearings for the cams, it also uses hydraulic tensioners, requires different cams, oil pump, chains and sprockets.

3.    In 2007 the remainder of the twin cams got the same plate and setup the Dyna had gotten in 2006.  Since you asked about using a 2006 plate in a 2001 and did not specify if the 2006 plate came from a Dyna or not, you got vague answers.

Now to finalize the complexity of this situation yes you can install a plate from a 2006 dyna or a 2007 (any model) in a 1999-2006 touring model but it will require purchase of special Conversion cams as well as the oil pump, tensioners, chains and sprockets that were originally installed in the later models.

There is still another option.  Harley has released a screaming eagle hybrid plate that allows you to use old style cams in your old twin cam and still have hydraulic tensioners.  It comes as a kit with a new oil pump, chains and sprockets.  It still uses ball and roller bearings like the original plates, but you don't have to use conversion cams.

And finally, I mentioned that the very early 1999 models used a slightly different cam plate.  this is for all the lurkers out there but if you happen to have one of these bikes and use a later cam plate you must block off the oil feed hole that was intended for the twin cam B motor that was introduced the following year.  failing to do this will result in a significant reduction of oil supply to the remainder of the engine, which will not be good.  I suspect there are many folks who do not know about this since it was so long ago and affected just a small number of early twin cam motors, but it is still very important

KiwiRob

Vern, the bike model would have been a lot of help. Would have made the answers to the question straight forward. Rob

FSG

Quote from: smoserx1 on October 01, 2023, 09:44:49 AMthe very early 1999 models used a slightly different cam plate