April 27, 2024, 12:33:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

89 fxr too much oil blowing to ground

Started by alstar2, September 27, 2023, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alstar2

September 27, 2023, 01:45:15 PM Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 04:17:59 PM by FSG
89 fxr 80" compression up 595 cam.blows 1/2 qt oil on start up.after about 2/3 days sitting.
1200 mi on rebuild. new ultima oil pump. question which way does the seal go in the oil pump? (open side in or out)
also have heard something about oil filter piped up wrong & filter having a drain back valve issue.
wouldn't a drain back prevent oil from returning & run your tank mty? pulled cam cover, gasket is correct,
timing is correct & clean. i had pulled pump replaced seal , ball check & spring thanks   Al

kd

September 27, 2023, 04:00:39 PM #1 Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 05:52:16 AM by kd
It happens often with the high mounted oil tank models and is usually found to be a leaking ball valve and seat.   Net time you come back from a good ride with a hot engine, pinch off the oil lines between a couple of pieces of wood (or some similar method) and see if stops it.  That will pretty well confirm it.
KD

turboprop

Quote from: alstar2 on September 27, 2023, 01:45:15 PM89 fxr 80" compression up 595 cam.blows 1/2 qt oil on start up.after about 2/3 days sitting.
1200 mi on rebuild. new ultima oil pump. question which way does the seal go in the oil pump? (open side in or out)
also have heard something about oil filter piped up wrong & filter having a drain back valve issue.
wouldn't a drain back prevent oil from returning & run your tank mty? pulled cam cover, gasket is correct,
timing is correct & clean. i had pulled pump replaced seal , ball check & spring thanks   Al

Replacing the check ball and spring really does very little. The seat for the check ball is where it is at. Yours is leaking. It needs to be lapped. There are good instructions on the bigboyz head site. The oil pump main body will have to be removed from the engine.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

alstar2

September 28, 2023, 02:02:19 PM #3 Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 02:13:55 PM by alstar2
yes turboprop.i had it apart but didn't lap it.i am taking i back apart & i will lap it this time
it's a new ultima pump & looked very good.but i will lap it.then if still a problem i will try the
kd line squeese  still would like to know about the seal direction for the seal in the
pump body thanks Al bigboyz instruction is great thanks again

Ohio HD

The lip of the seal goes towards the feed gears.

You can use a pushrod with a 3/8" ball end to lap the seat once the pump is off the motor. Valve lapping compound works great for this. Once lapped I seldom have seen repeat oil leak down to the case when the bike sits.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

kd

September 28, 2023, 05:06:14 PM #5 Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 08:59:06 PM by kd
 :agree:

alstar, the line squeeze thing was only meant to confirm where the oil was coming from. A few of the members do however use that method when storing or not in use for long periods. I would feel a little nervous about squeezing the same section of hose repeatedly and causing internal "unseen" damage if used too often.

A caution when doing the lapping that Ohio shows is to remember that there will be grit and metal filings produced.  It is imperative the pump is flush, back flushed blown out repeat, repeat.  That fine stuff kills oil pumps, and rod and main bearings. The method does work well though.
KD

Deye76

While you have the oil lines disconnected flush them and the tank also.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP