May 02, 2024, 01:08:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

tc top end on an evo bottom end

Started by vern, October 01, 2023, 08:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern

looking for imfo on a twincam top end on a evo set of cases ?

kd

Search Fatso on this site and settle in for some reading.  There are a few HTT members with experience building them, some of which are Sight Supporting Vendors here too. Hopefully they will chime in.
KD

turboprop

Quote from: vern on October 01, 2023, 08:40:49 AMlooking for imfo on a twincam top end on a evo set of cases ?

What information are you looking for?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

CarlosGGodfrog

kd

KD

turboprop

The hardest part will be finding a FATVO case. Delkron was sold and has not made these cases in over fifteen years. Ultima has not done a production run of them in a long time. A quick search of their marketing arm, Jireh cycles chows no FATVO cases in stock but one short block assembly. Good luck finding a case.

Ohio HD

I know that Alan Sputhe passed a few years back. But at one point he had a case and pistons for this. I wonder of any of his items are still available. 

kd

I see where another option is welding the heads and re-boring the head fastener holes.  I am sure there's more to it and the question is "How important is it to you to do this?"  Anything is po$$ible.  Using the appropriate cases would be the most reliable and sensible direction IMO.
KD

wfolarry

I built one with Sputhe cases. Still have it sitting here collecting dust.
You need to weld the intake pushrod hole & recut it. Sputhe has fat O-rings for installing the pushrod tubes upside down. It makes it easier but if you locate & machine the head correctly it's not necessary.
You can use 95" pistons if you can find rods that use a .927 wrist pin. Mine are from Jim's but I don't think they have them anymore. Then you just need to shim the barrels. Cometic can make you a base gasket in the thickness you need.
Other than that it's all downhill from there.

turboprop

Quote from: kd on October 02, 2023, 09:48:38 AMI see where another option is welding the heads and re-boring the head fastener holes.  I am sure there's more to it and the question is "How important is it to you to do this?"  Anything is po$$ible.  Using the appropriate cases would be the most reliable and sensible direction IMO.

Have you done this before or know anyone that has done this? TC88 standard bore is 3.750", a 95" TC88 has a bore of 3.875". Sputhe, Delkron and Ultima all required a longer pinion shaft to be used with their crankcase. It is possible to run a 3-13/16" (3.812") cylinder on oem cases, but the stud pattern is very different on TC barrels. The TC and Evo stud patterns prohibit either the EVO case or the TC heads from being welded and rebored.

To the OP, please do not take my word for this. See for yourself. Buy a set of evo and TC88 head gaskets and lay them on an evo case and TC heads. Maybe they will work. See for yourself.

kd

Quote from: turboprop on October 03, 2023, 07:58:03 PM
Quote from: kd on October 02, 2023, 09:48:38 AMI see where another option is welding the heads and re-boring the head fastener holes.  I am sure there's more to it and the question is "How important is it to you to do this?"  Anything is po$$ible.  Using the appropriate cases would be the most reliable and sensible direction IMO.

Have you done this before or know anyone that has done this? TC88 standard bore is 3.750", a 95" TC88 has a bore of 3.875". Sputhe, Delkron and Ultima all required a longer pinion shaft to be used with their crankcase. It is possible to run a 3-13/16" (3.812") cylinder on oem cases, but the stud pattern is very different on TC barrels. The TC and Evo stud patterns prohibit either the EVO case or the TC heads from being welded and rebored.

To the OP, please do not take my word for this. See for yourself. Buy a set of evo and TC88 head gaskets and lay them on an evo case and TC heads. Maybe they will work. See for yourself.

No, I certainly have not done this before.  When the thread was fist posted I took some time to search Fatso Engine on here to see how much info was available for the OP to catch up on.  I checked into a few of the threads and noticed one that indicated without having cases, welding the stud holes in the TC heads and re-drilling them was an option.  I realized it would as you say limit the bore size, and didn't fully read or verify any further in what I was looking at.  I was only intending to pass on the fact there was some info on HTT with a Fatso search. My quote above was meant to point out if it was possible it would likely not be cheap to do if you weren't a machinist with tools.
KD

m1marty

One of my guys has one in a 90s Dyna. Sputhe cases, welded up heads. Approx 11:1 with a custom set of CPs (100ci) Mik45, 2-1, 9B. Makes 127/122 iirc. Motor spins up violently quick. He's been running it 7-8 years now.
OFFO

Breeze

Quote from: vern on October 01, 2023, 08:40:49 AMlooking for imfo on a twincam top end on a evo set of cases ?

So disregarding all of the "if's", I guess the answer is NO. Special cases, specially machined cases, etc. can be done. NO to unmodified,machined cases.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

turboprop

Quote from: Breeze on October 05, 2023, 03:28:15 AM

So disregarding all of the "if's", I guess the answer is NO. Special cases, specially machined cases, etc. can be done. NO to unmodified,machined cases.

No. OEM Harley cases cannot be machined and/or welded to do this. Must have aftermarket cases specific to this application. 

Ohio HD

Just out of curiosity I looked on the Sputhe site, they do list the case part number, #7014. So that making me more curious, I sent them an email this AM. This was their response below. Not really surprising. But it appears that Sputhe is still operational anyway. 

vern

wow that was a lot of info on a hard to build motor. But I was in a local bike shop and there was one on the counter built by "Merch" and it had Sputh cases. pretty cool.