Headlight out, but flashes when using emergency flashers/turn signals

Started by LtKrunchy, October 05, 2023, 10:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LtKrunchy

Please help, I fix 1 thing & 2 more issues pop up.

2008 HD Sportster (standard - CN)

The current issue is, my headlight is out on start, but if I use my turn signals or emergency flashers, it will flash on/off. I am electrically challenged. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Tacocaster

You need to share more information with us i.e. what were the two, possibly three, things you "fixed" before the headlight went wonky? Don't leave anything out because what doesn't seem related to you might make a world of difference to someone else here. It's okay we don't bite - well, the majority at least.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Hossamania

Yes, more info would help. At first glance it seems an errant ground.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

LtKrunchy

Sorry for the no info post. But, thanks for a prompt response. My Sportster is an 883, btw. I haven't fixed anything electrical on it in 2 years. Back then, I replaced the stator, voltage regulator, & battery. This just happened out of nowhere. The only recent parts I've replaced were the primary case gasket & clutch cable. Plus oil, filter, & primary fluids.

It seems like the running lights are completely out, but when I turn signals on, everything flashes.

I have bypassed my turn signal/brake conversion module, but that didn't correct issue.

Hossamania

Check your ground wires, including the one going to the handlebar riser. Check that you don't have any wires rubbing under the rear fender. Unplug the harness under the seat that goes to the rear lights. Try to isolate circuits as best you can.
Turn your bars left to right with lights on, a broken wire at the harness where it bends at the steering head is common.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Fugawee

Have You by any chance given a Quick Look for DTC's on the Speedometer?
If You haven't...You may want to give it a shot.
A Code, or Codes may point You down the correct path as to what the problem may be.

smoserx1

If 2 positive wires were to rub together I could see that happening (the wire(s) controlling the turn signals and the headlight getting energized simultaneously).  I don't know if this is electrically considered a short, but it is not a "short to ground" like most folks think of a short and would not necessarily cause a fuse to blow (although it might cause a current increase) because 2 things are operating electrically at the same time that normally would not.  Might be tough to find since you say the headlight is off at start which sounds like the opposite of how it is supposed to do.  Look for rubbed through wires and faulty grounds like Hoss suggested.

fleetmechanic

You might want to open the left handlebar switch housing and look for pinched wires.