April 27, 2024, 07:41:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S tappet bleed time

Started by Alienball, October 07, 2023, 07:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alienball

I just installed new S&S precision tappets in my 2020 Road Glide. Pushrod adjustment went fine for both, but I was surprised when it took less than 10 minutes for each of my first two lifters to bleed down. Each one on the rear cylinder literally took less than 10 minutes to completely bleed down. These were new lifters from S&S, fresh from the bag, I pumped oil in them, even though they appear to be pre oiled, so they were full.  Is that normal to bleed down so quick? I haven't don the front cylinder yet but I'm assuming they'll be similar.
Thanks in advance

Coyote

October 07, 2023, 07:58:51 AM #1 Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 08:03:56 AM by Coyote
Every one I've ever installed new were like that. I think they are loaded with a light weight machine oil and some of that comes out before you get them.

It's the reason I pulled the oil through them before installing. Using just a vacuum bucket removes the air but doesn't load them with motor oil.

You can see the light weight oil at the top after being pulled out.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

kd

KD

Alienball

Thanks.  It is better than having to wait 30+ minutes each one that's for sure

Coyote

I suppose but you need to be careful. With them so lightly pressured, it's sometimes difficult to know where zero lash is.

Alienball

I did pump some 20W-50 into them to be sure they were full. I probably would have pumped all the lightweight out had I known how lightweight it was, but I just 'topped them off'.  Finding zero wasn"t too hard, just had to pay attention.  :up:

SP33DY

I like to cycle new lifters with the Jim's lifter tester. that insures that they are fully pumped up. Once in a while I catch a bad new lifter, too.

Deye76

"Using just a vacuum bucket removes the air but doesn't load them with motor oil."

If the vacuume bucket/device has motor oil in it, won't the heavier oil get pulled in as the air goes out?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Coyote

Quote from: Deye76 on October 08, 2023, 08:28:13 AM"Using just a vacuum bucket removes the air but doesn't load them with motor oil."

If the vacuume bucket/device has motor oil in it, won't the heavier oil get pulled in as the air goes out?

Sure but if the lifter is 90% filled with light weight oil, none of that will go anywhere. The air will come out and a small amount of 20w50 will go in to replace it. My method removes all of the light weight oil.

speedzter

I doubt the lifter function would be impaired by being filled with light weight oil.

Air trapped in the lifter would cause an issue.

Alienball

Thanks for the responses. Everything went smoothly . My RG is quiet again. Well, lifter quiet anyway.  :smile: