May 01, 2024, 12:20:36 PM

News:

tappet noise

Started by vern, October 07, 2023, 08:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern

After 100,000 kn I decided to look atmy cam sliders and they ha wear ,so I replaced them , put the bike together, fired it up there was ,is a lot mof tappet noise and it doesnt want to build up oil pressure, I took the plugs out and will turn the motor over a few more times but! the last time I did this was at 60,000 and it took a wile to get the oil pressure up, just seems to be taking longer this time. am I going to have to take it apart again or will the air get pumped out?

xlfan

Tacocaster

October 07, 2023, 12:16:46 PM #2 Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 12:22:36 PM by Tacocaster
Hey Vern!

Can you share more information, please?
Cam type - (i.e.E-Z Start)?
Adj PR (assumed) - Make and model?
Lifters - Make?
Oil Pump - Make?
Any other changes made (related or unrelated)?
How do you find TDC (your procedure) and which cylinder do you work first?
How do you "pump-up" your Lifters (method)?
Did you separate your Oil Pump from the Cam Plate during the procedure?
I know, I'm a PIA but everyone here wants/needs to know.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

vern

this is a stock motor ,this is the second set of tensioners I have installed. i have the plugs out and spin it over every once in a while but no oil pressure. Gonna have to come apart again, I must have done something wrong!

Ohio HD

Pull the timing cover off first, see if you can see if the large o-ring from the oil pump to the case is in place correctly.

kd

Vern, answer Tacocaster`s questions before you continue cranking or running or disassembling the engine. It'll help.  It's the most important pieces of information to give leading into a technical question.  It will / could also make a difference what you did and how, the model for oil tank position, oil pump alignment etc..  There is a way to bleed the air out of the cam plate system before you fire it again.  That will ensure there is oil in the galleries ready to feed everything including the lifters.

Before you tear into it again, I recommend you remove the oil pressure sending unit and crank it over.  If it spits out some air and then starts to give up some oil flow, put the sender back in and crank it again watching for the oil light to go out or the gauge to tic up (whichever is relevant to the model you have).  Air has been known to delay the oil flow and pressure. Other wise what Ohio said. If you had the pump off it's fairly common for the o-ring to not seat or even get cut on reassembly. 

Do try the oil pressure sensor flow test first though.  If there is no oil flow it's probably an inside assembly thing.  The old KISS test.
KD

smoserx1

If it won't build oil pressure I would suspect the oil pump might be assembled wrong.  If it is a stock pump the thicker gear set goes in first and to the rear of the pump housing.  Next is a separator plate, the spring washer, another separator plate and finally the thinner gear set  which will be at the outermost part of the housing, and next to the cam plate.  Check that if you have to go back in.

calif phil

Quote from: smoserx1 on October 09, 2023, 05:36:53 AMIf it won't build oil pressure I would suspect the oil pump might be assembled wrong.  If it is a stock pump the thicker gear set goes in first and to the rear of the pump housing.  Next is a separator plate, the spring washer, another separator plate and finally the thinner gear set  which will be at the outermost part of the housing, and next to the cam plate.  Check that if you have to go back in.

This is just what I was going to type out. 

FSG

Hilly13

Seen that scenario once before  :embarrassed:
Just because its said don't make it so

FSG

I think we all have  :SM: