April 27, 2024, 12:14:05 PM

News:

What is friction modifiers?

Started by itsafatboy, October 09, 2023, 03:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

I know ZDDP for wear in oil but what is friction modifiers the stuff makes oil slicker just wondering? was thinking about trying redline race oil , i know not as many detergents but i change once year anyway hope i posted in ok spot seem to be messing up on that lately 

smoserx1

October 09, 2023, 04:30:19 PM #1 Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 04:38:01 PM by smoserx1
It is something in the lighter grades of automotive oils (0 to 30 weights) that are designated "Resource Conserving" as shown on the SAE "donut" found on the oil container.  They should not be used in your primary as they can cause the clutch to slip.  They are added to improve cars MPG.  Molybdenum is a common one.

kd

They are additives that are used to reduce friction.  For example. when used in an automatics or Harley primary they cause the shift to be smoother because it allows the clutches to slip as they engage rather than hook up hard. 
KD

itsafatboy

so is there a additive that is a good friction modifier like boron that would be good to add to engine , i dont cate about primary at all, wouldn't use engine oil there anyway never did until marketing decided it was good , like CNN, jeez years all seperate HD says use 20/50 everywhere and we all do it   

Fugawee

Quote from: itsafatboy on October 10, 2023, 04:17:40 PMHD says use 20/50 everywhere and we all do it   

I know a Guy that doesn't use 20/50 everywhere.

smoserx1

QuoteI know a Guy that doesn't use 20/50 everywhere.

Make that two.

itsafatboy

sorry i was Ranting , im sure it will work but why use 20/50 everywhere mostly trans  , cheaper thats why , you want a good gl5 for trans , and for primary whatever atf is best you lubing chain and for whatever clutch wants , im sure 20/50 will be fine but what ever , engine i want the most slick crap that is made so i want all the ZDDP and friction modifiers that make it the best maybe racing oil with a little more detergents , dont care about EPA at all just want the best for engine period

smoserx1

Quoteso is there a additive that is a good friction modifier like boron that would be good to add to engine , i dont cate about primary at all, wouldn't use engine oil there anyway never did until marketing decided it was good , like CNN, jeez years all seperate HD says use 20/50 everywhere and we all do it 

If you use oils like Mobil-1 v-twin Amsoil V-twin or syn3 these probably do not have friction modifier additives as they are all designed to be used in all 3 holes.  Actual engine oils (at least the S rated ones) also do not contain these additives unless they are 30 wt and below and I don't think you want to use this in your Harley motor.  I wouldn't worry about it, but that is just me.  Maybe you can find a friction modifier additive

itsafatboy

Ok i know not need but what is a good boron oil additive, and maybe even gas additive thanks, thinking adding a bit to oil and gas , might switch to redline race oil and add some boron and good to go, and maybe a little bit to gas once in awhile 

blown alcohol

I have not been to this website in a while, but they have a ton of oil info.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/
2013 CVO Ultra

Hossamania

Is there a problem you are trying to solve?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JSD

Oil company's have EPA on there back. ZDDP blocks catilac converters over time. 1800 ZDDP is my choice. Redline race oil if i remember in 50w has 3000. Check their MDS specs

hattitude

FWIW.....

I have this graphic that I saved. It's several years old now (probably circa 2019), so I don't know if these levels are current...

I switched back to Mobil 1 V-Twin in all my bikes a couple years ago to simplify the oil supply for my 4 bikes. I have two Stage I, one Stage IV, and one with a 124" crate engine @ 135HP/151TQ

Leed

You could use Liquidmoly. It comes in 10-60 weight. They also sell additives with molybdenum in them. Lubeguard is another additive with high levels of molybdenum. Redline has oils with moly but I'm not sure if they have any in higher weights.

itsafatboy

so im thinking on using redline race oil 50w and maybe best line additive for a try ,  saw a ton of test this morning different people testing additives and even though they thought it is snake oil the best line actually did help and tested good, i figure the redline race oil isn't meant for long intervals but i change every few thousand anyway maybe even sooner, not sure if the redline race oil is any diff than the hd oil redline sells the ZDDP numbers pretty much same , and HD has the moly in it , race oil they don't really tell you , except ZDDP and its same. it would be different color so thats cool,  i dont care about clutch open primary and trans i use other stuff so its fine, just want the best thig for engine so super slick is good     

60Gunner

October 11, 2023, 03:37:46 PM #15 Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 03:56:18 PM by 60Gunner
Quote from: itsafatboy on October 11, 2023, 02:16:24 PMso im thinking on using redline race oil 50w and maybe best line additive for a try ,  saw a ton of test this morning different people testing additives and even though they thought it is snake oil the best line actually did help and tested good, i figure the redline race oil isn't meant for long intervals but i change every few thousand anyway maybe even sooner, not sure if the redline race oil is any diff than the hd oil redline sells the ZDDP numbers pretty much same , and HD has the moly in it , race oil they don't really tell you , except ZDDP and its same. it would be different color so thats cool,  i dont care about clutch open primary and trans i use other stuff so its fine, just want the best thig for engine so super slick is good     

You need SOME detergents. True race oil that has little to none is meant to be dumped after every race.
Valvoline NSL is one such "race oil". VR1 has a modest detergent package as well as Boron and Moly.
I couldn't tell you about Redline Race Oil. I would find out before running it 2500 miles tho.
Another good race oil suitable for street use is Brad Penn Racing. Formerly the old Kendall GT and now known as PennGrade One. It's a semi synthetic.
Joe Gibbs Racing has numerous different race oils and high performance street oils.
If you're dead set on synthetic, VR1 also comes in synthetic but it's conventional is way more popular and has repeatedly beat the snot out of oils like M1 V-Twin which does a grease impersonation under high heat and has sheared in less an 2000 miles in these bikes. A mod on another forum posted his UOA showing this years ago and others have to.
I've posted UOAs til I'm blue in the face showing this.

Do your homework. Don't just choose an oil based on a popular name here.
I've done months of research on oil. Most could care less. If their engine doesn't blow up it must be good. But wear happens over time not with catastrophic results.
I run what I run because it works, works good, has been proven to, and cost like $6 a quart!

Is Redline Race Oil good? I'm sure it is. But if an oil does just as good or better for half the price that's what I'll run.
VR1 is by far the most popular Race Oil used in Harley air cooled V-Twins. Probably followed by "the green oil" Brad Penn Racing.
They are for a reason.
But don't take my word for it. Research it yourself.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/valvoline-vr1-racing-vs-mobil-1-v-twin.155961/

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/valvoline-vr1-in-bikes.160034/