Anyone have experience with the JIMS 5813-5?

Started by les, October 09, 2023, 04:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

I can't seem to find this in the JIMS catalog, but other sites say that it can be used in conjunction with the JIMS 5813, or OE tool, so that the stator can remain attached to the left side case during bearing installation.

Wonding how well it works and if folks that have used it really find it to be the time saver they claim it is.

pauly

Hi Les,
I'm just replying as nobody else has, not because I have direct experience with that particular tool.
In my opinion, it may be telling that it's not in the current Jim's catalog, nor is it mentioned in the last few versions of instruction sheets (for the 5813 kit). Perhaps it was not popular and Jim's dropped it from the list, or perhaps it wasn't quite as effective in saving those screws and seals as intende?
Don't know if you have a contact at Jim's, but that would be a good place to start!

Thanks
Pauly

Fugawee

I don't have any hands-on experience with the Jims Tool that You are asking about...
So, I don't know if this will help You or not.
If You go on Ebay and search Jims 5813-5 Tool, (if You haven't already) there are 2-3 Sellers with it available giving a pretty fair description of the Tools usage in conjunction with the Jims 5813, or OEM Tool.

SP33DY

Since your original post, I happened to have an M-8 come in with a scissored crank. I ordered the Jims 5813-5 from Drag, their part number for it is 3801-0424. It works as advertised. It's basically just a spacer that lets you install a new bearing without disturbing the stator.
If you have a piece of 2-1/2" round bar in your metal pile you could probably fab one quickly enough to justify your labor rate opposed to buying one.
O.D. 2-1/2"
I.D. 1.659"
Top Step
O.D. 2.157"
Depth .285"
Bottom Step
O.D. 2.250"
Depth 0.090" with a generous chamfer on the edge

Ohio HD

Like this? I made the tool thickness 0.500", or does it matter?

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Ohio HD

November 09, 2023, 09:19:54 AM #5 Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 09:30:46 AM by Ohio HD
Or does it have both steps on the same side?   

SP33DY

The 5813-5 tool is 7/8" thick, with an external step on each end. The 2.157" step fits in the seal bore of the M-8 case, and the 2.250" step fits the small recess in the 5813-1 tool.

FSG

Ohio HD

Ohio HD

Coyote

Wonder if printing it in PETG or ABS would be good enough?

pauly

I wouldn't trust it in that application, regardless of the infill settings.
Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: Coyote on November 09, 2023, 02:13:11 PMWonder if printing it in PETG or ABS would be good enough?

les

SP33DY, thank you for going through the trouble and expense of getting hands on experience with the add-on tool.  I have the 5813, and will most likely get the add-on tool soon.

FSG

SP33DY

Quote from: les on November 09, 2023, 05:30:51 PMSP33DY, thank you for going through the trouble and expense of getting hands on experience with the add-on tool.  I have the 5813, and will most likely get the add-on tool soon.

It was just one of those things. I always removed the stator in the past. The tool was cheap enough (at dealer cost) and I get my Drag orders the next day, so I just went ahead and ordered it. If I had a clear picture of the tool ahead of time, and an appropriate sized piece of steel (no and no) I figure I could have made one quick enough. But the job came in and I needed to get it done. For the time it saves by not messing with the stator, the adapter will earn it's cost back after a few jobs.

les

Quote from: SP33DY on November 10, 2023, 08:03:15 AM
Quote from: les on November 09, 2023, 05:30:51 PMSP33DY, thank you for going through the trouble and expense of getting hands on experience with the add-on tool.  I have the 5813, and will most likely get the add-on tool soon.

It was just one of those things. I always removed the stator in the past. The tool was cheap enough (at dealer cost) and I get my Drag orders the next day, so I just went ahead and ordered it. If I had a clear picture of the tool ahead of time, and an appropriate sized piece of steel (no and no) I figure I could have made one quick enough. But the job came in and I needed to get it done. For the time it saves by not messing with the stator, the adapter will earn it's cost back after a few jobs.

That's definitely what I was hoping for!  Thanks!