April 27, 2024, 10:07:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stop & Go Failure

Started by cheech, October 10, 2023, 08:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheech

Anyone had a Stop & Go plug failure?
Got a drywall screw in the rear tire on the last ride a few weeks ago, so plugged it in the morning for one last ride this past Sunday.
Rode all day no issues, made a few stops, did a 90 MPH jaunt for about 12 miles on the way to last stop.
Left there, got on highway again, took a decent curve, bike felt good, got off exit going maybe 20 MPH made a right then a left.  The last left felt it weave a little and thought to myself that tire is flat again.

Only 1/4 mile from home, so no big deal.
Got the bike in air today and sure enough no plug in the previous hole.

It felt good on the last ride home right until I got off the highway so it seems it failed right then and there or darn close.  The last curve I took at a good speed is only 1/2 mile from the exit and the bike didn't feel unstable in it.

I pulled the plug out to seat it as per the instructions, but maybe not enough.  :nix:
My guess is the plug went into the tire anyways.
Seems impossible with the way the heads are to come OUT.

Hossamania

How old was the plug before install?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HogMike

i had the same issue a few years ago, rear tire in the middle of nowhere.
I don't know if it was not fully inserted ( probably) or it was inside.
We used a rope repair on the side of the road and I got a new tire in Reno.
Never found out if the plug was inside or not.
I've had good luck with the plugs before and it may have been operator error.
 :nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Coyote

I had two plugs fail. Back to only using glued ropes now.

calif phil

Safety Seal makes the best tire plugs, made in ND since 1964

Inda Win

I think that the problem with Stop and Go plugs is that you are unable to determine if the mushroom head has expanded properly inside the tire.  A while ago, I was testing several different plugging products on an old wheel and tire.  I drilled a hole in the tire, plugged it with a Stop and Go plug, aired it up and left it overnight.  Came out in the morning, the tire was flat and the plug was lying on the floor.  Back to string plugs for me.

Here's a link to a video I did reviewing several different plug kits.  Watch it at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htFsen4sOoQ&t=23s

tomcat64

4 years ago I was a witness to the reason we should NEVER use plugs, My buddy caught a nail out in the middle of nowhere in SD, I plugged the tire and was trying to get him to Aberdeen for a tire,, 11 miles from the shop the tire de-laminated,, hell of a sight!! the problem really wasn't the plug, it was how hot the tire got while it was going down, once the tire is up to 400 degrees it compromised the entire tire. It was amazing the Delmar didn't crash. 

cheech

Quote from: Hossamania on October 11, 2023, 04:21:06 AMHow old was the plug before install?
Same day, plugged 11 AM, failed 9 PM.

Quote from: Coyote on October 11, 2023, 05:06:17 AMI had two plugs fail. Back to only using glued ropes now.
My first using them, was even skeptical as they use no glue and are what I guess, coated in silicone lube as that's what they suggest to lube the gun and nozzle.
I wondered if they self vulcanized, but figured there is no way with that lube on them.

Quote from: tomcat64 on October 11, 2023, 07:35:21 AM4 years ago I was a witness to the reason we should NEVER use plugs, My buddy caught a nail out in the middle of nowhere in SD, I plugged the tire and was trying to get him to Aberdeen for a tire,, 11 miles from the shop the tire de-laminated,, hell of a sight!! the problem really wasn't the plug, it was how hot the tire got while it was going down, once the tire is up to 400 degrees it compromised the entire tire. It was amazing the Delmar didn't crash. 

I'm not usually a fan and only did it to get one last ride.
Used the Stop & Go from recommendations on this site.
Already had it for some other situations.

So that's why I asked on here after I experienced it for feedback.

smoserx1

I have used the glued rope kind a bunch with good results on my bike and with cars.  But the last several times I have done it on my cars the repair failed.  I don't know if it is me or what, but I don't trust this type of repair anymore.

SP33DY

I have been using "Tru Flate Plug N Patch" on flat tire repairs. The downside is that the tire has to be removed from the rim. These are a combination plug and patch that needs to be pulled through the tire from the inside. Just use the rope plugs to get it home and then fix it with the "plug n patch".