April 27, 2024, 06:43:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2023 FLHTK steering head lubrication

Started by pauly, October 11, 2023, 03:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauly

Hi Breeze,
True. Corrosion is my enemy as I live near the coast.
Thanks pauly.

Quote from: Breeze on October 13, 2023, 03:35:35 AMNeck bearings get 90 degrees of movement a couple of times a ride, and then very slowly. IMO fresh grease is more of a corrosion preventative than lubrication need. 

millerm64

I got hold of a 2020 flhtk service manual that indicated you need to disassemble the steering head to lubricate the bearings!
Please - tell me it isn't true, or tell me the sneaky ways you guys are lubricating this critical area.
How long would you estimate the procedure to repack the steering head bearings would take? To me it seems really involved, removing the outer, and inner fairing, and all the associated wires, switches etc, then disassembling the to triple tree etc... that would take me ages and I reckon I'd break 19 plastic clips, and incorrectly route many wires etc.
---------------------------------------------

As usual I'm a little late to the party but here is my 2 cents.

"Doc" Harley of Low Country Harley Davidson did a video, "The Harley-Davidson 100K Neck Bearing Service", about 5 months back for Utube that you may find interesting and you can see that he did not have to take everything off the front. I know this is a Road Glide vs an Ultra but the steering stem should be similar.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

As for sneaky tricks, to avoid having to disconnect a lot of wires etc I just unbolt my handlebars and hang them from my garage rafters. Mine is a naked Dyna but I don't see any reason you can't suspend the fairing etc enough to get the steering stem out.

Steering stem with a close up of one of the bearings. These were dirtier than I thought they would be but there is no rust and there is still an adequate amount of grease. So the 30,000 mile lubrication service interval is appropriate.

The above pic is on my Dyna but it does show the need to "clean" and lubricate the neck bearings.  In addition to clean/lube it gives you the chance to inspect the bearings for possible replacement and to set the proper preload on  the bearing. This may be listed as torque,  fall away or ... depending on the year/model.  As these bikes get heavier I think this is a very important service/adjustment to perform. This is also a good time to change the front suspension fluid or a fork rebuild at higher mileage.

My bike sees all kinds of weather and this service is a good time to give it a good clean/polish when it is stripped down.

It sounds like you kept your 2007 Softail pretty tight/well maintained so I don't think you will find the steering neck service that bad.

Regards and enjoy the new ride. 

pauly

Hi Millerm64

Yes I see the bearings are (just) ok...I think having them covered in waterproof grease protects them, and (in most cases) means you may never need to pull them apart. I will (one day, probably in winter....) figure out where I can put a grease nipple so it's accessiblem, pull it apart, drill and tap a hole... and then stop whinging about it. Then I can start whinging about the crappy gear selector setup... there's no grease nipple!!!

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: millerm64 on October 25, 2023, 09:42:08 AMFrom: Pauly

I got hold of a 2020 flhtk service manual that indicated you need to disassemble the steering head to lubricate the bearings!
Please - tell me it isn't true, or tell me the sneaky ways you guys are lubricating this critical area.
How long would you estimate the procedure to repack the steering head bearings would take? To me it seems really involved, removing the outer, and inner fairing, and all the associated wires, switches etc, then disassembling the to triple tree etc... that would take me ages and I reckon I'd break 19 plastic clips, and incorrectly route many wires etc.
---------------------------------------------

As usual I'm a little late to the party but here is my 2 cents.

"Doc" Harley of Low Country Harley Davidson did a video, "The Harley-Davidson 100K Neck Bearing Service", about 5 months back for Utube that you may find interesting and you can see that he did not have to take everything off the front. I know this is a Road Glide vs an Ultra but the steering stem should be similar.

As for sneaky tricks, to avoid having to disconnect a lot of wires etc I just unbolt my handlebars and hang them from my garage rafters. Mine is a naked Dyna but I don't see any reason you can't suspend the fairing etc enough to get the steering stem out.

Steering stem with a close up of one of the bearings. These were dirtier than I thought they would be but there is no rust and there is still an adequate amount of grease. So the 30,000 mile lubrication service interval is appropriate.

The above pic is on my Dyna but it does show the need to "clean" and lubricate the neck bearings.  In addition to clean/lube it gives you the chance to inspect the bearings for possible replacement and to set the proper preload on  the bearing. This may be listed as torque,  fall away or ... depending on the year/model.  As these bikes get heavier I think this is a very important service/adjustment to perform. This is also a good time to change the front suspension fluid or a fork rebuild at higher mileage.

My bike sees all kinds of weather and this service is a good time to give it a good clean/polish when it is stripped down.

It sounds like you kept your 2007 Softail pretty tight/well maintained so I don't think you will find the steering neck service that bad.

FSG

Quote from: pauly on October 26, 2023, 10:46:50 PMpull it apart, drill and tap a hole...

if you're going to fit a grease nipple I suggest you fit 2, one in the upper area and one in the lower area

pauly

Yes I loved that bike.
It's for sale now by a dealer here in Victoria - "Ridden, but cherished" was their line.
I can't help but maintain things properly.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: millerm64 on October 25, 2023, 09:42:08 AMIt sounds like you kept your 2007 Softail pretty tight/well maintained so I don't think you will find the steering neck service that bad.

Hossamania

I used to be so maintenance and pre-emptive service minded, now I just ride them and fix things when they break. Fluid changes have been stretched much further than I ever thought I would but still within recommended intervals, suggested maintenance often ignored, except for brake fluid flushes on the abs system. Irresponsible? Sure. Cuts down on worrying about what needs to be done next. Just check tires, get on and ride. Reminds me, I should probably check the oil.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Tacocaster

One of my good friends is the same way, Hoss. He's mechanically inclined and not poor but just does the necessary when necessary and rides the hell out of it. I honestly think he enjoys it more that way.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

pauly

...and think of the money he saves! I tend to worry about mechanical things letting me down, so I pre-empt that, by keeping things like new. As an example, I went and bought a new compensator, belt, front and rear pulleys, inner primary bearing and bits, charging system etc for my Softail, withe the intention of replacing it all in the coming winter. I then, changed my mind and decided to get the flhtk. Anyone want some 07 Softail bits? Haha. I'll get rid of all those parts over the coming months on eBay.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: Tacocaster on October 27, 2023, 10:49:54 AMOne of my good friends is the same way, Hoss. He's mechanically inclined and not poor but just does the necessary when necessary and rides the hell out of it. I honestly think he enjoys it more that way.

JSD

You in OZ Pauly Victoria . For the last 40 odd years i been fitting grease nipples. Zerk to you US blokes . I pump the "Potty mouth" out till it comes out top Timken. Bit of a mess to clean up but the last.

pauly

I'm trying to be more like that, but am struggling 🤪. This new bike is my last and my intent is to put heaps of miles on it, without cleaning and polishing, and worrying about little scratches.... But..... already I'm on about the grease nipples!

Quote from: Hossamania on October 27, 2023, 04:21:51 AMI used to be so maintenance and pre-emptive service minded, now I just ride them and fix things when they break. Fluid changes have been stretched much further than I ever thought I would but still within recommended intervals, suggested maintenance often ignored, except for brake fluid flushes on the abs system. Irresponsible? Sure. Cuts down on worrying about what needs to be done next. Just check tires, get on and ride. Reminds me, I should probably check the oil.

pauly

Gday JSD,
Yup - same here!

Quote from: JSD on October 28, 2023, 12:29:51 AMYou in OZ Pauly Victoria . For the last 40 odd years i been fitting grease nipples. Zerk to you US blokes . I pump the "Potty mouth" out till it comes out top Timken. Bit of a mess to clean up but the last.

rredneckn2

You are 1000% on Bearing Saturation Through a jerk fitting. Fill them Full wipe up the excess. As the neck bearings go preload must be checked as needed. The same practice needs to be on any bearing housing ie lawnmower spindles and trailer wheel bearings The grease keeps contamination out and the bearings lubed. Sealed bearings like pillow blocks over lubing causes leaks and overheating of the bearings in som cases.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Hilly13

Quote from: FSG on October 26, 2023, 11:29:28 PM
Quote from: pauly on October 26, 2023, 10:46:50 PMpull it apart, drill and tap a hole...

if you're going to fit a grease nipple I suggest you fit 2, one in the upper area and one in the lower area

Fair call, she narrows right down in the centre.
Just because its said don't make it so

Hossamania

Are we sure it is a sealed steering head, not open to the frame like the Dynas?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

The text to FSG's image says 2014 and up touring they closed the neck.