April 27, 2024, 09:52:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Head gaskets for big bore

Started by Dogbone45ACP, October 11, 2023, 06:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogbone45ACP

What is the preferred gasket ? 3 5/8 bore 4 5/8 stroke Shovel. I have Cometic MLS and S&S copper. I assembled this engine years ago with James blue head gasket. Must be something better now. 

JSD

I use MLS but many use S&S copper. 

76shuvlinoff

My S&S 93" has Cometic MLS on the jugs and James with a bead on the rockers.  Been dry for over 15 years.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Dogbone45ACP

turboprop

Have used all three gaskets on trouble heads. I prefer the MLS type but have used the other two with great success as well. I think this is one of those subjects that you could ask five people and get five different answers.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Dogbone45ACP

Thanks Turbo, I think I'll give the MLS a go this time.

Reddog74usa

I used MLS with no issues at all. Tried the cometic metal base gaskets and they leaked real bad despite making sure the surfaces were filed flat. I went with the James base gaskets with the silicone bead and all went very well. I like the fomet gaskets for the rocker boxes as I have never had an issue with them. As mentioned lots of options, just sharing what worked for me.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT