April 27, 2024, 07:13:41 AM

News:

wires on a sportstor

Started by roadkingdresser, October 11, 2023, 04:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Got a 2016 1200 sporster low,on the left side below the battery there is 2 wires in a harness that looks like they were cut and twisted together,one is black and the other is black/w green stripe fairly heavy wires. Any idea what they may be for? It's also showing 2 codes p0118 and b2116. one is for the temp sensor which someone cut the wires and the other is for the fuel pump outlet open. can any body give me some info on this. The bike starts ans runs seems ok beside the codes and the red light on in the speedo/ any help would be appreciated.
roadkingdresser

Coyote

Wiring diagram is in the docs section. 

roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

Fugawee

October 11, 2023, 06:21:33 PM #4 Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 07:12:35 PM by Fugawee
If You found Your way to the Wiring Diagrams on HTT for a 2016 Sportster...

Find Figure A-9.  In approx. the Center of the Page, You should see a "GND 1".
On that Lug will be a Black Wire by itself, and a Black/Green Wire by itself.
Trace out those Wires one at a time from that Point and see where the Splices are.  Splices=Big Black Dots.

You should see that...
The Black Wire is a Ground going to Many Electrical Connectors thru-out the Bike.
The Black/Green Wire is a Ground going to the Ignition Switch, Front Lighting and Hand Controls, the BCM, the ECM, and a Sensor and Resistor or two.
And possibly ABS if equipped.

Tracing out the Wires will also bring You to Figure A-10...so, continue tracing.

B2116=Fuel Pump Outlet Open
P0018=Engine Temperature Sensor High

Hope that this helps You a little.

And in case You are un-aware...You can increase the page size to make it easier on the ol' eyeballs.

Have You tried to clear the Codes?  And see if they return?

roadkingdresser

Thanks got to the wiring and traced the wires. Took me a while the old eye sight ain't what it used to be. Thanks again.
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

Quote from: roadkingdresser on October 12, 2023, 03:23:34 AMThanks got to the wiring and traced the wires. Took me a while the old eye sight ain't what it used to be. Thanks again.

More light, a couple different pairs of glasses, then more light. Getting old ain't for sissies!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Fugawee

Quote from: Hossamania on October 12, 2023, 05:22:46 AMMore light, a couple different pairs of glasses, then more light. Getting old ain't for sissies!

I have been known to have to break out a 4" or 6" Magnifying Glass on occasion in addition to the above.
Especially when looking at a Diagram in a Manual.
I like the idea of being able to enlarge the screen when looking at them on-line.