April 27, 2024, 04:07:59 PM

News:

Clutch Stacking

Started by Ohio HD, October 11, 2023, 08:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

An interesting method by Andy Simon Sr. regarding setting your clutch up to protect your transmission cogs.

turboprop

October 12, 2023, 07:41:54 AM #1 Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 12:54:54 PM by turboprop
Over the years there have been countless discussions about the 'Best Clutch' and the noise from the big block bagger crowd has always been about clutch slip. They hate it and did everything possible to eliminate the slightest hint of clutch slip at any RPM or throttle position. The dyno tuners were right there cheering them on. I have always hinted at clutch slip being a good thing, especially with higher than stock output engines on the street with tires selected for their longevity. Glad to see Andy putting this out there for all to see. His comments on Shockproof are also insightful.

Would love to see him do a video on TC lifters. Hahahah. And consumers adding stuff to their engine oil to improve it. Hahahaha
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

October 12, 2023, 08:13:23 AM #2 Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 08:19:40 AM by kd
Quote from: turboprop on October 12, 2023, 07:41:54 AMOver the years there have been countless discussions about the 'Best Clutch' and the noise from the big block bagger crowd has always been about clutch slip. They hate it and did everything possible to eliminate the slightest hind of clutch slip at any RPM or throttle position. The dyno tuners were right there cheering them on. I have always hinted at clutch slip being a good thing, especially with higher than stock output engines on the street with tires selected for their longevity. Glad to see Andy putting this out there for all to see. His comments on Shockproof are also insightful.

Would love to see him do a video on TC lifters. Hahahah. And consumers adding stuff to their engine oil to improve it. Hahahaha

I was one that fell into the no slip mentality.  It began with the need to ensure that the clutch wouldn't slip on my high output 120 during tuning.  Especially after travelling a whole day to get the the tuner. It has ended with the understanding that it's more than likely why I have killed 3rd gear in 3 transmissions with aggressive riding since.  Now my GrudgeBox (which resolved the 3rd gear issue, has started to shift into the next gear when I let off after a hard max effort first to second pull when hooking up full tire traction. 
f
This season is over up here where I am in Canada and the transmission is going back to Baker for a warranty refresh. Next season will be clutch tuning.   :wink:  An unintended consequence will likely be a lighter lever pull too.  :teeth:
KD

-deuced-

I thought that was a big no no but perhaps not. It seems to work for him. Went and checked out his other you tube videos, he's a watchable guy although I couldn't help but think "tell ''em the price, son". Love the explanations with the cut-a-way models! Also liked the comment about "your little 250hp street bike", lol.

Xyzzy

Just watched the video.

What exactly happens in the clutch with a set of steels paired, and a set of fibers paired?

Would you need to have stiffer springs or more plates to offset the lost torque capacity, or is that the what this is supposed to do?

Is this just a way to have fewer plates without changing the stack height?