2009 Streetglide can’t get .070” clutch movement with bandit clutch

Started by 319fatboy, October 12, 2023, 06:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

319fatboy

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a solution so I would be able to get the .070" travel in my bandit clutch? I read through a ton of threads on here on this topic but I am still not sure the best way to go about this. Would a 21 degree ramp give me more movement? Right now I have the stock setup and I am able to get around .055" travel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Would the new ramp part number 37000376 work on my 2009?  I read a thread saying they were 21 degree.

Ohio HD

I'm using a set of early TC OEM 21° ramps and getting 0.079" pressure plate travel.

The assumption is that the new M8 21° ramps would do the same. However I haven't used them and can't say that with any certainty they will give the same results.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,96629.msg1438938.html#msg1438938

You cannot see attachments on this board.

kd

Changing the ramp toward more travel will increase the clutch lever pull weight along with it.  I expect you have cable or adjustment issue of sorts. Check the routing of the cable.  Check the mid cable adjuster to ensure it is seating inside itself properly and the same at the clutch lever.  The clutch lever / cable angle should be straight.

It is very likely the clutch is not adjusted properly. If there is too much free play incorporated it will use up plate travel.  Readjust the cable starting with the pushrod screw in the pressure plate.  Back off the mid cable adjuster until the lever collapses first.  Loosen the lock nut on the pressure plate pushrod adjustment and wind the screw in until it makes contact.  Make sure it is seating and then back it out (1/4 turn is plenty).

Next adjust the mid cable adjuster back out. There is no need to have more than the thickness of a dime  between the clutch lever and perch bracket. Work the lever in and out when making the adjustment to ensure the ball ramps are doing their job.
KD

319fatboy

Thank you for the replies. Do you know if the stock 2009 ramp is 21 degrees?
I will check clutch cable again and reset the adjustment. I believe my problem may be the angle of the clutch cable at the perch. I have yaffe handlebars and the cable does make a hard bend to get down through the fairing.

Ohio HD

2009 Twin Cams have 19° 18° ramps from the factory.

Added: My mistake, they were 18°.

319fatboy

Ok. Thank you. Do you know number of the 21 degree ramp you are using with your setup?

Hossamania

Also, how old is your clutch cable? What brand? It is possible that it is collapsing a bit.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

319fatboy

It is several years old. I believe it is a magnum black pearl cable. It was installed with my handlebars. So it could be a contributing factor as well.
My local dealer says the older 21 degree ramp is no longer available.

Ohio HD

Take three of the clutch springs out and see what the reading is. Chances are that would be enough reduction in pressure to see if the cable outer cover were compressing. At minimum it would probably change the reading if it's compressing.

319fatboy

Removed three springs like Ohio recommended and it changed the reading for sure. I will order a new cable. I am still trying to find a 21 degree ramp to put in as well. Do I need to try to find the shovel head spring also? I see that is recommended a lot on here?

kd

Quote from: 319fatboy on October 12, 2023, 05:55:08 PMRemoved three springs like Ohio recommended and it changed the reading for sure. I will order a new cable. I am still trying to find a 21 degree ramp to put in as well. Do I need to try to find the shovel head spring also? I see that is recommended a lot on here?

Yes to the shovelhead spring.  It will ensure the ramps are at home when released and your adjustment will then be finer when you set it.  Remember that you need vary little free play clearance at the clutch lever when setting it.  As the engine and transmission get up to temperature that clearance WILL grow.  I personally think changing to the 21 degree ramp is masking the problem.  I think you are on the right track now and your cable and alighnment may be adding the extra free play reducing the travel. 

Look at it this way, if the OEM ramp it came with gave /070 lift then fix that.  changing the ramp also changes the release pressure on the clutch handle.  It's a simple "law of levers" thing.  If you make the lever pull lighter you get less lift.  More lift gives you a heavier clutch pull.
KD

Ohio HD

Before you go get the clutch cable, I would also open up the right side of the transmission and inspect the throw out bearing. While you're at it take the two ramps with you to HD and see if the late model 21° is the same. HD went back to them for a reason.

This is what John MaGee told me regarding the pressure plate travel they want to see on the Sportsman clutch.

"Minimum is .055", .070 is more common"

He also once told me that he sees 0.065" commonly on late model bikes, that being when the Twin Cam was in production.

319fatboy

I opened up the right side tonight and the throwout bearing seems ok it spins easily and doesn't feel like it has any rough areas. Unless there's something I am missing.
My dealer said they do not have a new 21 degree ramp in stock so I am out of luck there.
Any ideas where to buy the shovelhead spring?
I believe I can get .060 travel if that is good enough

FSG

Quote from: 319fatboy on October 12, 2023, 07:00:30 PMMy dealer said they do not have a new 21 degree ramp in stock

ask if they have the kit 37000376 available

kd

Quote from: 319fatboy on October 12, 2023, 07:00:30 PMI opened up the right side tonight and the throwout bearing seems ok it spins easily and doesn't feel like it has any rough areas. Unless there's something I am missing.
My dealer said they do not have a new 21 degree ramp in stock so I am out of luck there.
Any ideas where to buy the shovelhead spring?
I believe I can get .060 travel if that is good enough

I am just using a jobber spring in about the same dimension as the shovelhead unit.  It does the job just fine.   FWIW IIRC I am getting just over .060 travel and that's with the Muller ramp.  The spring allows you to accurately set the clutch with minimum free paly.  That translates into more lift because the free play is less.  BTW, I am also using the Bandit Sportsman clutch ibut in an Evo Industries basket.
KD