April 27, 2024, 11:50:13 AM

News:

Electronic ignition

Started by rittchie66, October 12, 2023, 06:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rittchie66

Hello... im putting together my brothers old shovel (75 fl) and was thinking about running electronic ignition but am worried about the couple of rotations before they spark aspect that they have built into them.. the bike is kick only.. anyone know of a system that fires right off the bat? Or should i just run points?  Thanks in advance
Rich

fbn ent

I would imagine there is still a module with a "kick only" switch. My Crane Hi-4 (not available anymore) has one. Maybe check S&S.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

turboprop

Some of you may remember the Johny Bo bike that I built as a retirement gift for a former teammate. The plan going into the project was to build a shovel as maintenance free as possible. When I gave that bike to Bo it had a DTT electronic module (no flyweights), a CV carb, and Evo lifter blocks (and everything required) and a 3-phase charging system. I de-stroked it with custom super heavy weight 4" wheels from Truit & Osborn and made up for it with 3-⅝" cylinders. That bike ran smooooth, was uber reliable and made decent power. Bo was mechanicaly stupid. One of those guys that should never posses wrenches. He rode that bike all around the country for a couple years living out of bed roll.

Anyways, my point being that many grey beards still cling to the out dated thinking that old chevy points canoe had at any auto parts store and they need to pack a few sets on the bike, etc. Or that electronic ignitions are hard to start via kick, etc. The Daytona Twin Tech module is good, but there are several others that will work. Key features are a module that is programable or has dip switches to configure various features, and no flyweights. Select a programable module that uses a timing cup vs problematic flyweights.

Value added: Setup that shovel head to use a VOES switch. This will take it from having a single advance curve to having two advance curves one for high vacuum and one for low vacuum. All controlled by the VOES switch. Properly setup that VOES will provide more power and better gas mileage.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Excalibur

Dyna S uses no skip pulses so kickstart ready.